Newby

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Dbull84, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Dbull84

Dbull84 New Member

New to the forum and long range shooting. Just wanted some opinions on the setup I purchased. I just purchased a rem700 varmint sf in 308 . I am topping it with a nikon 5-20x44sf scope with egw scope base with Burris xtr scope rings. I know it's prob not the best but its a start. Thanks for the input.

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Before you burn up a bunch of ammo have a good free float, bedding and pillars installed.

It'll save you a lot of aggravation in the future.

No it's not a 3,500.00 custom setup with a 2,400.00 scope on it but it's damned sure a great start.

Enjoy.

3. 16Bore

16Bore Well-Known Member

No need to apologize for your schit. The stock is probably your weakest link, but easy to replace.

Shoot the piss out of it, trigger time is your friend. Once heard a fella say that any Joe could walk out of WalMart with better gear than Carlos Hathcock ever had.

Food for thought.....

4. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

There's a hell of a lot of truth in that.. . at least what he started with.

5. Dbull84

Dbull84 New Member

Thanks guys for the input def making me feel better about the money spent lol.

6. dbrow6272

dbrow6272 Member

New to the forum and glad I found it. My intent is to get into some bench rest long range shooting. The club I belong to only goes out to 200 yards but I am sure there are some clubs here in Minnesota that go out farther.
    Some interesting information here.
    Dan

7. Dbull84

Dbull84 New Member

Update. Got scope mounted on gun went to sight in and ran out of adj on wind age and elevation. So sending scope back and replacing with vortex viper 6.5-20x50mm.

8. 16Bore

16Bore Well-Known Member

Mounts?

9. Bman940

Bman940 Well-Known Member

Definitely some great information can be had here N. I would be surprised if the problem was with the scope, more often, as already suggested, it is the way the scope is mounted. Dovetail, base,rings? Either way, I hope you achieve the results you are looking for.