Newby coyote hunter

marksman3006

I am so new I'm not even a green horn yet!
icon10.gif
. I came down with the fever a few moths ago and am gearing up for my first coyote hunt.

Sadly though I live in the East and have no realistic prospect of ever hunting them here. But I dare to dream and am somewhat obsesed with the thought of it.

I have been learning a lot from books ("The Coyote Hunter" by Laubach Griswold and Henckel), videos ("long Range Coyote" by powder river preditors), and various web sites like WWW.varmintal.com.

I have purchased way too much gear, but I dont care, I work hard and I deserve to have some toys.
icon12.gif

My two rigs (yes two!) are a Rem 700 VSSF in 220 Swift with a harris bipod and Burris 6.5-20x50 scope with sun shade, and a T/C Venture in 22-250 with a Leupold 3-9x50 Varixll. I will use the 22-250 with stoney pt shooting sticks.

I will also use my Konus 10x42 binos and Burris High Country 20-60x60 spotting scope.

I have been learning to call with a Primos "hot dog" and am able to produce good (to my untrained ear) Coyote sounds (greeting, challange, hurt pup). I also have a Knnight and Hale "predator I" to make cottontail distress sounds.

I live in Eastern Virginia and will probably end up in the Jefferson National forest looking to bust a fox or coyote.

Anyway, I would apretiate any advice from vetran predator hunters and I wanted to let those closet coyote hunters know they are not alone. Thinking of starting a support group
icon6.gif

don't give up hope of hunting coyotes in virginia.i killed one a few weeks ago and missed one a few days later.we have plenty of coyotes here but they are a little hard to hunt.ust be patient.i have had a lot of coyotes here lately thathave been answering my calls but not omming out into the open so i have started hunting the woods.if you ever want to go hunting let me know and i would be more than happy to take you along for to have some company because sometimes you can get a little bored by your self.it sound like you are on the right track.if you want to go just let me now and i will pm you my contact info.

Marksman3006: I like your style! Definitely take Bogger up on his offer. It will cut your learning curve a lot! That was my advice reading your post--find an experienced caller to go with. Otherwise, your on the right track with some good beginning gear. Now, take Nike's advice and "Just Do it!" You'll start honing your skills and forming your opinions on what works, what doesn't and what you personally like. Set up is key though. Don't call 'em if you don't have a reasonable chance to kill 'em without them winding you. Have fun!

No way! I am so excited! I will definately be making contact for the chance to get some hands on

I have lots of vacation time so its just a matter of planning the hunt. For me its all about the hunt. If we got out there and couldn't kill one I would still be happy because I'd be out hunting
icon10.gif

I'll keep posting on how it turns out.

Thanks.

Well things didn't work out as planned and I wont be able to join Booger for a hunt (at least not yet) maybe someday.

But I did learn that there ARE yotes in the Jeferson Nationall Forest (public) land that I will be able to hunt this autumn (about 80 miles West). So I will be planning my first hunt soon.

I could go as early as Sep 1st but I just got the idea and I'm not ready yet. It is a real posability though and I'll be giving it some thought. I'v got to see what this huricain is going to do first though, could be a mest around here after this weekend!

I also found out about a cool blog called "coyoteschool". It is put together by a gent up yonder in Canada and has a lot of good info about gear and hunting stratagies.

Well things didn't work out as planned and I wont be able to join Booger for a hunt (at least not yet) maybe someday.

But I did learn that there ARE yotes in the Jeferson Nationall Forest (public) land that I will be able to hunt this autumn (about 80 miles West). So I will be planning my first hunt soon.

I could go as early as Sep 1st but I just got the idea and I'm not ready yet. It is a real posability though and I'll be giving it some thought. I'v got to see what this huricain is going to do first though, could be a mest around here after this weekend!

I also found out about a cool blog called "coyoteschool". It is put together by a gent up yonder in Canada and has a lot of good info about gear and hunting stratagies.

I like your spirit marksman. For more interesting reading on setup, gear, ect., here's another place for you to read through........................The Coyote Gods: Introduction

predatormasters is a good one. also a trip out west is not that expesive. a lot more coyotes. once you call one in an shoot it you will be hooked.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.