Newbie suggestions

BIG DOG

Hello, it has been a long time since I cruised this forum, and I am wanting some input on my set up. I currently have a Remington VS in .308 winchester. It is topped with a Leupold VX-II 3-9x50mm, and is sitting in Warne rings and one piece base.

I plan on hunting mule deer in eastern Oregon, and would like to use this rifle. I have owned this rifle for 3 years, and it has as many rounds through the barel. I have thinking about chopping the barrel down to 20 or 22 inches. I also plan on using 165 or 168 grain bullet as the norm for this rifle.

I am asking for some recommendations, information, criticism, etc. Please any info would be greatly appreciated.

PS-

I do not plan on extreme range for this rifle. 500yds max

Hmmmnm, heavy 26" bbl. Many rounds through the rifle. Implies experience with it. 3X9 scope seems sufficient for the task described. Given these assumptions I wouldn't change a thing. Chopping the bbl may save a few ounces and make it a bit more handy to carry in the brush but wouldn't gain much, I wouldn't think. Velocity loss due to 4 or 6 inch bbl length reduction may be a consideration also. It would result in more of a rainbow traj out towards 500.

What I'd do though, if not already done, is determine the drop from the center cross hair to the tip of the bottom post (assuming a duplex reticle) at several distances out to your max of at least 500 yds w/the scope set at 9x. Or some other self devised method of hold-over.

Use of a bipod (or cross sticks) of at least setting position height may be helpful also.

Just some Monday morning tho'ts.......

The rifle only has three rounds through it since I have owned it. I am not that experienced in shooting past 200 yards. Every game animal that I have taken has been 75 yards or less. However, I am expecting some long shots this year.

I have buddy that has a 308 in the VS platform , he sent his to Chris Matthews to have the barrel cut down and an accurizing job. He shot several groups this past weekend with Hornady TAP 168gr A-max ammo that could be covered with a nickle.
the velocity loss from 26-20" in minimal maybe 100fps and that can be made up if you hand load.

I don't think my friend plans to reload any for this gun as he went back and bought 11 boxes of the TAP ammo that were the same lot number.

So as for sugestions , get out and shoot the gun to see what it can do then practice at all the ranges you may be able to shoot. the 308 is a great deer round out as far as and past what the typical hunter shoots, and the A-max bullet launched at 308 velocities is a pretty good bullet for deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.