Newbie Rifle Package Help

olsonj85

Hey guys! I just joined this forum and am also just attemping to get into long range shooting. For me long range=500-600 Yards. My plan is to sell my Ruger 22-250 varmit setup with a leupold vx-iii 6.5-20. The only reason I bought it was because I felt it was very mispriced at $650, very lightly used. Of course I had to take it coyote hunting and ding the laminated stalk up some.....

Anyway with the money from that and some extra I would like to get set up into a good setup with a little more pop, and less drift. Total I would like to stay under $1300, if possible. I was thinking of a 308 but after much research I am more confused than I could have imagined. I find the 7mm-08, 284, and 280ai all very interesting. I do have a friend who reloads heavily who will help me with that end of it. Basically a good action barrel set-up i can grow and refine my skills with at my budget. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

What is the animal that you want to hunt? That will influence the caliber choice. While the 308 is a very accurate round and is very gentle on the barrel, it is not the choice for really windy conditions. In calm conditions I would not hesitate to shoot a deer at 800 yards with a 308, but with winds that range is greatly reduced.

Some good practice and hunting rounds are the 243, 260, 7-08. They have some very good long range bullets available.

I would keep the scope.

I would reccomend keeping the scope and selling the rifle without it. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer at 500-600 yards with a .308 Win. and 168g bullets. As BuffaloBob stated about 800 yards is the max effective range for a .308 Win. for deer. Any of the 7mm you suggested are fine choices also. $1300 is going to be the tough part. If you get a Remington action, a new barrel and stock and have the work performed to put it all together you'll be around the $2,000 price range. If you keep the Leupold that's a cost you won't have to figure in and whatever you get from the Ruger 22-250 you could subtract from the $2000 figure.
The other option would be to again keep the scope, sell the Ruger, and get into a Remington Sendero. Have some small accuracy work done like bedding, re-crown, lugs lapped and trigger work and you'd be at about the price you'd like. Down the road as you learn you can get a custom barrel installed, have the action blueprinted and maybe a different stock if you don't like the HS precision one.

keep the scope . sell the ruger. either get a sendero or rebarrel a remington 700 vs to 6.5-284.

Another vote to keep the scope. Although I love and use the 308 for most of my hunting, I would suggest getting a Sendero in 300 WM for long range work. This will give you plenty of power for most North American game and probably will last long enough for you to learn to shoot to its effective range. The first thing I'd do as far as customizing it would be to get the trigger pull down to a respectable level.

A lot of good advice !!!!!

My vote would be to sell the ruger and keep the scope.

I hunt with everthing from a 17 HMR to a 416 and my favorite go to
deer rifle is a heavy barreled 7/08.

It seems to be perfict for deer. very accurate ( Best 100yrd group .053 ),
just the right amount of energy ( The bullet transfers 90% of it's energy to
the deer insted of blowing through with little or no expansion ),And recoil is
so mild that most of the time I see the hit through the scope. Plus it is my turkey
gun when they get to wary to come in close enough for a shot gun and a
200+ yard head shot is the norm.

I have made 500yrd + hits even with my 7/08 pistol and the deer fell where
they were shot.

Look for a 700 varmint (heavy barrel) in 7/08 and you should be very happy
with the performance of the rifle and if you should later decide to re'barrel
you already have a good action,trigger and a stock that will take a heavy
barrel.

Also bullet selection is second to none .

J E CUSTOM

I guess my advice will be a little different
My advice is to keep them both and practice until you are confident not only in the rifles abilities but your own. at that time i would sell the rifle and upgrade.

A lot of good advice !!!!!

My vote would be to sell the ruger and keep the scope.

I hunt with everthing from a 17 HMR to a 416 and my favorite go to
deer rifle is a heavy barreled 7/08.

It seems to be perfict for deer. very accurate ( Best 100yrd group .053 ),
just the right amount of energy ( The bullet transfers 90% of it's energy to
the deer insted of blowing through with little or no expansion ),And recoil is
so mild that most of the time I see the hit through the scope. Plus it is my turkey
gun when they get to wary to come in close enough for a shot gun and a
200+ yard head shot is the norm.

I have made 500yrd + hits even with my 7/08 pistol and the deer fell where
they were shot.

Look for a 700 varmint (heavy barrel) in 7/08 and you should be very happy
with the performance of the rifle and if you should later decide to re'barrel
you already have a good action,trigger and a stock that will take a heavy
barrel.

Also bullet selection is second to none .

J E CUSTOM
J E CUSTOM- a remington 700 vs or vls in 7-08 is not easy to find. do you know of one for sale and the price??

ANother for sell the rifle and keep the scope. Super scope for just about anything. I would then buy a Stevens or Savage, the only difference is the price and the Accu-trigger is mounted on the Savage. $300-$500. dollars that out of the box will do just fine for your needs. 7 X 08 would fit nicely as a starting rig. SInce its a Savage simply remove the barrel and replace yourself anytime you want a caliber change or change the bolt head and you can go to the short mags or belted mags if you so desire.

Neal

Alot of good advice, that's the problem!
Cheapest way, Stevens actoin and build from there,next,buy Savage heavy bbl in 308 and learn to shoot it! Next, as one said 300 mag, recoil may be a
factor but a vg choice.
Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.