Newbie reloader seeking advise !

FEENIX

I managed to do some loads and range time last weekend and yesterday.

RIFLE: SAKOM995 in .300WM, 23.5" barrel, 1:11 twist - all factory except for a custom muzzle brake by Joe Starnes, topped with 4.5-14x40 B&C Leupold scope, trigger set @ 2.5 lbs.
BRASS: Once fired Federal
PRIMER: CCI250
POWDER: H4831SC
BULLET: 200G NAB

(1) First load dev't, COL (3.34" base to tip not ogive) with the following powder capacity:

-68.5G, 69G, 69.5G, and 70G – none registered better than picture 1

(2) Second load dev't, COL (3.62" – don't ask why … just wild guess … it clears mag and load fine) with the following powder capacity. Shots @ 100 yards.

705gH4831SC.jpg

Picture 1 - 70.5G

P9250353.jpg

Picture 2 - 71G

P9250354.jpg

Picture 3 - 71.5G

Note: No cleaning done for all 9 shots, approximately 3-5 minutes barrel cool off between shots.

There are no obvious signs of excessive pressure at this time. Do I press on up on powder? Do I keep the COL of 3.62"?

I appreciate any advise or insight that you might have. Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

V/R

Ed

Last edited:
If you keep going up on powder you'll see where the load comes back apart. If it were me I'd see where it comes apart and then confirm the load in the center of the charge that's shooting good. After that fling some further down range and see what you see.:)

+1...

Change only one variable at a time. Since you're not seeing any pressure signs, continue going up with your charge. Once you find the charge(s) that group well, try them at longer distances to see if they hold together. Once you've narrowed down the powder charge, then start adjusting your seating depth to fine tune the load.

If you keep going up on powder you'll see where the load comes back apart. If it were me I'd see where it comes apart and then confirm the load in the center of the charge that's shooting good. After that fling some further down range and see what you see.:)

Proceed carefully as you exceed a 'book maximum' but it can be done. As an example, for my 308 with the 175VLD, Berger lists their maximum load of RL15 as 43.3grains. My rifle shoots just great with 44.5 grains.

The reason I am asking is because Hogdgon Reloading Center calls it max @ 71.5gr for the NAB ... just being cautious. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.