Newbie needs some help

Young_Sniper

I was wondering because I do not hand load, would the Federal PREMIUM GOLD MEDAL 190grain Sierra MatchKing BTHP in .300 win mag be better to use on moose than the PREMIUM VITAL-SHOK 180grain Barnes Triple Shock at ranges 250yards+

Welcome to the board.

1st off, on a critter that big, the 190 SMK will be too unpredictable. If you hit bone or not, how fast it is going, ect...Definatly use a "hunting" bullet. SMK's work great for some kinds of hunting. It depends greatly on the game, caliber and bullet wieght. For the purpose of moose hunting with the 190 SMK, I dont recomend it. If you can find a factory load with ACCUBONDS, that is an awesome moose bullet. I have killed trophy moose with both the X bullet and accubonds. They both do very good. The only thing I dont like about the X bullet is if you hit a bone at an angle, they have a tendancy to NOT open as the hollow point gets slammed closed and the bullet turns into a bannana shape. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Again, welcome.

Also, welcome to LRH. I would agree and tell you to look for an Accubond load or a Partition load in the 180 to 200 gr range. For the range you will be hunting, both will perform much better then either the SMK or the X bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.