Newbie need scope advice

BigSlick

I have been hunting for many years in the forests of Minnesota but this is my first real "long range" rifle. (Sig Sauer SSG 3000 in .308)
I need a good scope that is accurate out to 1000 yards or better but I don't want to break the bank buying one. Looking to spend about $750 for a decent one. Got any suggestions?

gun)
:D

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 LR. Use the money you save to buy a good set of rings and base. You might also want to check out the Viper PST.

Lots of possibilities, depending on your application. Target shooting? Big game? Weight limit? What type of reticle do you prefer? Illumination? Any other features you really want?

Take a good look at Burris and Nikon. for the price you will not go wrong they can take a hell of a beating and stay on there sight(zero).
All I use are Burris and love them, they both have scopes that for the dollars spent you will not go wrong. The only problen with long range scopes you will need to get use to them.
It will be black but after you get through this problem you will find it worth the head ach of the high magnification. If a Deer steps out at 50 yards its all furr. go 6X24X42 or 4.5X14X42.
but 1000 YARDS is a long way, I just hope you are good enough Buying a Scope is like getting
married you are stuck with the Scope and nobody wants her.

Don't skrimp on optics, buy once cry once! At 1000 yards you need proven repeatable adjustments and clear glass. That SIG is a fine rifle don't ruin it with sub par optics. Wait and save if you have to it will be worth it in the end. 750 doesn't go far these days, it can be done for that but save a little more and you'll thank me later. Most of us have been down the same road your on, I never use to think a nightforce or razor could possibly be worth that kinda money, I worked my way threw scopes from 500-1500 before I finally listened to what the experienced long range shooters were telling me, took me 2 years to get a nightforce, another year to get the razor, I lost a lot of money along the way on optics that didn't fit the bill, I fought my way threw competitions, struggeled for repeatable long range accuracy, then finally took the plunge and never looked back. I can't afford to put them on all my guns but it seems like they are the only 2 guns I shoot now at least for a couple more years. There are alot of great optics outthere, you know deep down inside what you really want. Good luck.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.