Newbie here on the forum with a question.

Vahena- my 700 adl is no where near the precision of your model 3000. It does not shoot quite like a sendero. In a world filled with somewhat homely looking black/synthetic rifles it is nice to see an atractive one. i have a couple sako mannlichers, they only shoot so so but still look good when i carry them hunting .

Hello again everyone,
I am posting the results of my first time shooting the Mauser 3000 L in 7 mm rem mag and I also purchased a Nikon 6 x 24 x 50 scope for it.
It has been along time coming but I moved to NJ and it took that long to join the one and only club in my area.
I bore sighted the scope at home and got to the range , I took my time as it was 95 degrees outside and very humid,I have never shoot a magnum before and was surprised with the recoil, first shot hit paper 2.5" to the left, made an adjustment to the right. Second shot was 1.5 to the left but low, I know it was me getting used to the recoil. third shot was 3/4" to the left but 2" low again I knew it was me, but getting closer to center and made a few clicks right and up.
As I was letting the barrel cool, I was thinking the rifle and scope are doing their job and I needed to relax a bit and control my breathing and such.

Well I took the next three shots and felt good as the trigger pulled, by the way I had checked the pull on the trigger and it is a crisp 2 lbs, perfect, as you can see the 3 shots are a clover leaf, I have not measured but its about 3/8" moa, I was very excited to find that this rifle is as everyone has said, I decided to not do any work on the rifle until I first shot it to see what it could do and it did. I DID NOT MAKE ANY MORE ADJUSTMENT, and took one more shot as it was getting very hot and I was sweating pretty good and as you can see it is to the left by about 1" and a little low, but I know it was me and called it a good day.

I want to thank ever one who responded before and I did listen and you were right, the Mauser 3000 L is a great shooter as it is, from the factory, if I were to do anything to it I believe it would be a break and free floated, as the recoil was a bit much if I am going to shoot it any length of time.

Attachments

• ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 15
  • fdrf.jpg
    fdrf.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 23
Vahena, I'm very glad to see how your project Mauser 3000 (Heym SR 20) proceeded and worked out. Your rifle shoots really good and with a brake on top it will even be better. :) Post some results when you've been hunting with your beauty!

Vahena, I'm very glad to see how your project Mauser 3000 (Heym SR 20) proceeded and worked out. Your rifle shoots really good and with a brake on top it will even be better. :) Post some results when you've been hunting with your beauty!

Very nice Vahena... Feels good when bullets start overlapping each other. It means both you and your rifle are doing your part and working effectively together. I will honestly concur with Varberger with regard to a good muzzle break. I have a 300 win mag and it is now a joy to shoot because it has a brake... Really makes me more comfortable behind the gun as I got rid of a light weight 7mm wsm because it beat me up pretty bad and I was developing a flinch... Even though I worked my very hardest to be disciplined and use good form when shooting it. The bruises I developed after each range visit had my body over-ruling my brain just as I touched off rounds from that gun.

Now... The 300 wm has more recoil, but the muzzle brake makes it seem more like a tame load on a 308... Perhaps even a little less than that. I've dramatically decreased my groups with the magnum, and I believe it's primarily due to the brake.

Very happy for you and wishing you more success behind your 3000!gun)

Thanking everyone for their responses,
I am liking the advice from everyone has given and it seems everyone agrees about the muzzle break, but what type? I have been reading about breaks, blasting up dirt in your face or even worst the guy next to me. Are their better ones over the others?
I want to do this rifle right as it not only makes me look good shooting but she is a real beauty and I want to pass this rifle down someday to my son.

Also I noticed a couple days later that I had some bruises on my shoulder and arm, nothing bad just small ones. I thought nothing of it until I read the above thread and realized now where they came from, Ha,Ha...

Attachments

• 0607141414a.jpg
    0607141414a.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for posting a pic! Very nice. I personally would stay away from any brake that vents up, down, or both. Most brakes either vent all they way around... Have side vents, or a combination of side vents and top vents. I saw a slow motion video of a side + top vent model and it's amazing how much the top vents actually flex the barrel.

For me, a side vent model is preferred. Keeps the dust from a fully vented brake from blowing all around me when shooting prone and doesn't put undue pressure on my barrel like the side+top vented model could.

There's a lot of different brakes out there. Mine came already installed on my 300 wm, however I'm sure there are numerous members who could point you to one that is cost effective and does the job.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.