Newbie (Crimp or Not?)

kbb468

Hi I'm new here on the site and have been lurking in the back ground as I read the various posts. I am also new to reloading. I have a couple of calibers to reload for starting with an Savage in 270 win (for LR hunting), Remington in 308 win, and another Savage in 223 rem (for LR varmint control).

Question I picked up some Hornady 30 cal. SST which has a cannelure. Is it neccessary to crimp when reloading this bullet or will it be fine not to?

1st: Welcome, hope your stay is long and enjoyable.

2nd: No. Hows that fore brief.

Have never found the need to crimp on the 270 in 35 years of reloading for it. Also load for 338 and 355 along with 222 and 223. I don't crimp anything.

I'd try seating that 270 bullet so that the bottom of the canelure is exactly at mouth of the case. That's been the sweet spot for several rifles that I know of, included one I load for.

Again, welcome!!!

Thanks for the reply. This will keep additional variables out of the equations while I search for the best load.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.