Newbbie looking for Caliber selection

thegunnut26

I would like to start big game hunting starting with deer and maybe elk someday, I am having a hard time deciding on a caliber. I want something that wont be to bad on recoil and that I can use for longrange(maybe 800 yds) target shooting that wont burn barrels out fast.

Welcome! Never hunted big game?

The 308 would indeed be an excellent choice for your criteria. Barrel life can't be beat, versatility is unmatched. Recoil is mild. If you'll be shooting factory ammo, there isn't a better caliber for match quality ammo.

If you'll be handloading, the 7-08 would offer less drop and drift, and less recoil. Barrel life would be a bit shorter.

The 260, 6.5 Creedmore, and 6.5x47 Lapua are all superb. Even less drop and drift, and less recoil. Barrel life would be less again.

Buy yourself a 300 and put a break on it. Then when you go after elk you will have no worries. My 300 wsm with a break has less recoil than my 308. Just my two cents.

270 win. Mild Recoil (Use a Pad), now making bullets to really turn this caliber into a long range killing machine. I believe a 175 gn is coming out soon.

gunnut- the answers to most of the questions on here are leup 6.5-20 and remington sendero. 7mm rem or 300 wm.

7mm Rem. Mag. With a 26in. Barrel
160gr. Bullet (I use accubonds)
Don,t go cheap on glass- start at least with a 4.5x14x50mm with medium to high end scope. (I use leupolds for starters) use good scope mounts also
Add a muzzle brake if recoil is too much. I do not recommend because you MUST use hearing protection.
Probably will need to accurize the gun before it will shoot consistently past 300-500yds.
Take care of that barrel, keep it clean.
That's just one idea, very many out there. My 2 cents.
FE:D

If it were me .............handloading?............ no=308win yes=260 rem......If you go magnum=30 cal or 338 cal have more stopping power and better barrel life than the 7mm mags. There are entirely to many good options available.

30-06 sounds like it might be a good choice for you, although different people have their own ideas about what "mild recoil" means. I Personally like my 7mm rem mag, but if you're not handloading and want to shoot a lot of rounds, .308 has the cheapest rounds around here where I live. .270 is another good option. There are a lot of calibers that will do what you want them to do, but these are the more common ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts