newb sight in question

LEFTYM77

I have a newbie long range sighting in question. I just bought my first scope with target turrets and I was wondering what the optimal MOA of elevation is to sight in at. I know leupold scopes come from the factory centered or close to it on both the windage and elevation, but do you set your zero in your scopes MOA range in the middle ( around 45MOA in my case) or do you crank it towards the bottom of the scopes ajustablity then sight it in so you have more travel upwards?
I hope this makes sense haha if one was to crank it down before bore sighting what is the method? count clicks to find true center then crank it down 20 or so MOA then go from there?

I hope I understand you question correctly, it's a little confusing.

While it may be nice to have your rifle zero very close to your mechanical zero, what you're suggesting won't make any difference. Moving the turrets around before sighting the rifle in will have not effect where your zero is within your adjustment range. If you want more "up" adjustment, you will need a base with MOA "built in" (canted base).

Take your rifle to the range, bore sight it, then sight it in. Decide how far you expect to shoot and how many MOA of "up" adjustment you'll need to get there (keep in mind some weather conditions will require more MOA). Now count MOA up from your "zero". If you don't have what you need, invest in a canted base. I'm sure the subject has been covered here before. Hope it all works out for you. Let me know if this makes any sense to you.

If your question is about external adjustment of your scope via tapered bases, than I would say to try to get your rifle to be sighted in at 100-200 yards towards the top of your adjustment allowing you to move the internal adjustment the most when sighting in for long shots. Some use a 10 15 20 or 25 MOA rail to gain extra adjusment, but if you use too much you will not be able to sight in at closer ranges. I was able to gain about 10 MOA using the Burris signiture rings with inserts on my tikka short action.

Yea I was thinking about it more last night and it all makes sense to me know. I was having a bit of a brain fart.... thanks for replys to help clear it up though

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts