New338 lapua

Figured as much, but thought I would ask. Been there a few times in my lifetime. His prices are okay. When my dad had a sporting goods store, he would order stuff from Grice often.

Start with 90 gr of H-1000 and work toward 92 gr in 1/2 gr steps under a 300 gr SMK or a 300 Berger OTM. The Bergers will group quite a bit better at 1000 plus. Use a CCI 250 primer. Start with them seated .020" off the lands and see what ya get. I would not recommend using a solid copper in that new tube until it is well broken in. Well,,,,, I would not recommend a solid anyway..:D But thats just my preferance after seeing 10 or more elk go down each year.

The 5.5~22 NXS is hard to beat in my opinion. It serves me well on my 338 LM to well past 2000 yards.

Good luck with the new stick.

Jeff
Any certain dies Im picking it up tommorrow

Start with 90 gr of H-1000 and work toward 92 gr in 1/2 gr steps under a 300 gr SMK or a 300 Berger OTM. The Bergers will group quite a bit better at 1000 plus. Use a CCI 250 primer. Start with them seated .020" off the lands and see what ya get. I would not recommend using a solid copper in that new tube until it is well broken in. Well,,,,, I would not recommend a solid anyway..:D But thats just my preferance after seeing 10 or more elk go down each year.

The 5.5~22 NXS is hard to beat in my opinion. It serves me well on my 338 LM to well past 2000 yards.

Good luck with the new stick.

Jeff
Thank will try had trouble with h1000 in stw seemed discolored and clumped new powder

Thank will try had trouble with h1000 in stw seemed discolored and clumped new powder

Sounds like it drew moisture, I have never seen that before. Oh, may as well buy at least an 8 lb jug. That way you will not be changing lots so often and have to rework drops. My last order was for 40 lbs of the same lot. :D

Jeff

Broz,

Do you find your bullet on the elk you shoot with the 338 L?? I worry about performance on those Bergers but I have read here that MANY people like them for How they perform at longer ranges. Just curious because mine is coming with 3 boxes of accubonds loaded and I really to not like these. I was thinking of going with Barnes and actually just bought a few hundred rounds to see how I can get these to work. Just looking for answers to what I think and what you know!!! hahahah:D:D

Thanks

We have only taken 3 elk with the 300 bergers. Longest shots were 800 and change. All were complete pass throughs with 1 1/2 to 2" exits. All DRT!!! I have taken several before the Bergers with 300 SMK's here is the only bullet that didn't pass through. 526 yards in the crease behind the near shoulder and stopped after breaking the far shoulder of a large 6 point bull.

Jeff

300 SMK

DSC00685Medium.jpg

Thank you!!! Trying to figure what I want... I guess the bottom line is get a round that shoots well and make sure I put the bullet in the right place....
Thanks
Mario

Thank you!!! Trying to figure what I want... I guess the bottom line is get a round that shoots well and make sure I put the bullet in the right place....
Thanks
Mario

That is the truth. Use what is accurate in your rifle and know where to put it to make it work well. I like the Bergers and SMK's because I want elk dead right there.. DRT!!

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.