New338 lapua

med7mmstw

Just purchased a new savage 338 lapua going to reload need some help on loads and scope am leaning toward night force 5x22x56 any help would be appreciated ps im new to this sight from pa

Just purchased a new savage 338 lapua going to reload need some help on loads and scope am leaning toward night force 5x22x56 any help would be appreciated ps im new to this sight from pa

Hello fellow Pennsyltuckian! Where abouts? My cousin uses 300grn SMK's, but once he is out wants to go to the Berger's. The powders he has used is RL25, H1000, and Retumbo. Looks like the H1000 is the best for the Lapua or Retumbo. Welcome to LRH.

Can't go wrong with the Night Force. No arguments from anyone here.

Tank

Just out of curiosity which Savage did you buy? The only Savage Lapua I have seen is the 110 BA, but they have the FCP and the Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua as well?

I have the savage fcp and it shoots very well with h1000 and the sierras...thought about the bergers, but have had such good luck with the sierras i decided not to mess with it.

This one shoots well under moa at the distances I have been able to shoot so far.

Jordan

Accushot, Bought the model 11/111 mossy oak accu stock no adjustable cheek rest.special run for central pa gun dealer.detach mag 26" barrel.8 3/4#

Albertakid, Thanks, am going to try sierra and barnes,do you do a full resize? any thoughts on primers.

I just picked up the regular long range hunter 338 sku 19482. I have a box on the way from hsm in lapua brass 300gr berger OTM. Its going to be used on southern GA hogs .probably to close for a lapua but eh its all in good fungun)

I like the sightron scopes. The glass has been compared to nightforce and they have an outstanding warranty. The price is substantialy less then the nightforce and they similar statistics. The scope of choice imo.

Also, what kind of accuracy are you getting out of your fcp and lrh savage 338s?

Start with 90 gr of H-1000 and work toward 92 gr in 1/2 gr steps under a 300 gr SMK or a 300 Berger OTM. The Bergers will group quite a bit better at 1000 plus. Use a CCI 250 primer. Start with them seated .020" off the lands and see what ya get. I would not recommend using a solid copper in that new tube until it is well broken in. Well,,,,, I would not recommend a solid anyway..:D But thats just my preferance after seeing 10 or more elk go down each year.

The 5.5~22 NXS is hard to beat in my opinion. It serves me well on my 338 LM to well past 2000 yards.

Good luck with the new stick.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.