NEW Zeiss 8x26 Victory Rangefinder

Earlier there was some talk about the beam divergance comparing the Zeiss, Leica, swaro... Len did a write-up on the new Zeiss but he did admit that he had limited time and, if I remember right and read it correctly, he was actually using one of the upper class zeiss range finders that is in the $2900 price range. I don't know for sure if the $700 and the $2900 models have the same beam divergance??? I'm guessing not.

However, from what I have read, the $700 Zeiss will give the leica a run for the money and possibley even the swaro.

in Len's article he gave the beam divergence of both the binoculars and the $700 monocular. the monocular was bigger but smaller than the Swaro or Leica.

Until I'm reading unanimous consent that the new Zeiss monocular rangefinder will outrange the Swaro, I'm sticking with my Swaro. I've already run through a number of rangefinders and nothing with high quality glass has come close to ranging the Swaro distances.

in Len's article he gave the beam divergence of both the binoculars and the $700 monocular. the monocular was bigger but smaller than the Swaro or Leica.

Dave, your right that he did list the monocular, but I looked agian and the monocular was listed of a divergance of 4 x 2. I also looked at the divergance of a CRF leica and it was .5 x 2.5 (less than the Swaro). With that said, I just wonder how much stock can be put into the beam divergance thing?? I know a Swaro will out range a CRF any day of the week. True practical ranging ability must be measured by other means I would guess.

I think one will have to waite for someone to take the plunge and compare side by side the Leica, Swaro, Ziess side by side in the field on sunny days and cloudy days.

I think one will have to waite for someone to take the plunge and compare side by side the Leica, Swaro, Ziess side by side in the field on sunny days and cloudy days.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, and for what it's worth my new swaro just quit working and needs to go in for repair. That said I know they will repair it fast and get it back to me. Glad it waited till most of the season was over.

Jeff

Just wondering if any one has a update with the new ziess rf, compered to swaro. i plan on purchasing a new rf in the next month. any more info would be helpful...

thx jason

Just wondering if any one has a update with the new ziess rf, compered to swaro. i plan on purchasing a new rf in the next month. any more info would be helpful...

thx jason

Still waiting for mine to come in. I ordered it from my local gun shop. He had to apply to become a Zeiss dealer first and it's taking longer than he thought. As soon as I get it I'll test it out and report back.

Well i purchased thge new zeiss RF, heres a few comments
mid day 1202 on a cow ( beef)
up to 1481 on trees
havent compered it to swaro, but the glass is awesome, the focus is a great feature. instant readings, easy to see. havent got much seat time yet, havent been able to get a reading over 1500 in bright sunlight yet.

anyways more to come as time goes on... welll worth the money...:D

Well i purchased thge new zeiss RF, heres a few comments
mid day 1202 on a cow ( beef)
up to 1481 on trees
havent compered it to swaro, but the glass is awesome, the focus is a great feature. instant readings, easy to see. havent got much seat time yet, havent been able to get a reading over 1500 in bright sunlight yet.

anyways more to come as time goes on... welll worth the money...:D

I finally got mine. Almost the exact same results. I also pointed it at some antelope. Bright mid-day sun. Heat waves.

1489 House
1452 Rock outcrop
1408 Big bush
1231 Cow
849 Antelope - with a fence post rest
681 Antelope - freehand

I like it but wish it had a standard tripod mount.

I didnt' have a swaro for a direct comparison. Swaro people, how do these mid-day bright sun numbers compare?

Paul

I went out again this evening. The performace improved after the sun went down. I was able to range a coyote at 887 in a hay field after several tries. But I couldn't get a reading on some dark horses that I'm guessing were about 1300-1400 yards. It gave nearly instant readings on bushes/trees/rocks out to about 1480. But could never get a reading past that eventhough there were plenty of targets to range. It seems like this unit has a 1500 yard governer on it.

While I'm pretty happy with it overall, especially how it ranged in direct sunlight this afternoon, it would be nice to get 1500-2000 yard readings in the ideal conditions that I had this evening.

Paul

Thanks for posting your findings with the new Zeiss. My Swaro will range 2-300 yds farther than what you're reporting. I'm getting the impression that the Zeiss will out-range the Leica 1200 by about the same distance that the Swaro will out-range the Zeiss.

Broz was going to compare all three of these LRFs side-by-side after his Swaro came back from warranty repair.

I'm getting the same results as phorwath with the swaro. If you put it on a tripod you can usually get 1999 yards during the day with clear skies. If there is any cloud cover I can get 1999 just by holding it in my hand. I was interested in the zeiss but will now stick with the swaro.

Looks like the Swaro takes it for distance, but looks like the Zeiss would be more accurate on game at distance.

I took one out side a sports store in Bufflao Wy and shot it down the street. It is lightning fast, but there was nothing far enough to tell anything about range. I have a friend that bought one also. He has ranged goats to 7 or 800 mid day I think. I doubt it will out range the Swaro but I really can't say. I have a swaro now and I may be going back to the Leica. I have had a few issues with the large beam and the large reticle circle on my Swaro. I guess you really have to pick one for your personal needs. They all have weak and strong points.

Jeff

Jeff I would think twice before buying a new Leica I just sold mine.It would only read past 600 yrds once and a while.I have talked to three other guys that have the same problem.For the money I think they are junk.$800.00 that is a lot of money more something that don't work all the time.Weather really affected mine had trouble in very light mist and light fog.Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.