New verses old with our rifles.

I say, whatever floats your boat...
I am a blue steel and wood kinda guy. I leave the plastic and shiny for others to enjoy. I am a hunter and not a competition shooter. So I dont require 5 shots touching at 1000 yards. I am happy with 5 shots in a 3" circle at 300 yards. I have a few rifles manufactured in the 60's that I have been using the same load for 45+ years and still work just as well as they did back in the day. I have gotten away from factory rifles and have started to build my own.....unless I come across a deal I can't pass up....and that happens

What has really improved is rifling and the easily adjustable quality triggers available today. In this regard I will take new thanks...but it certainly doesn't mean I'm selling any of my old!

Back in the day the bulk of my Whitetail hunting was in the Adirondacks and I hunted with a model 88 Win. 308 or a model 71 .348. I started using bolt action rifles in the early 90's. I've killed more deer with my .257 Roberts and my .270 than I have with my newer 6.5 Creedmoor but the Creedmoor is my go to rifle most of the time now.

What has really improved is rifling and the easily adjustable quality triggers available today. In this regard I will take new thanks...but it certainly doesn't mean I'm selling any of my old!
I strongly agree with you on the quality triggers available! I have after market triggers on all of my rifles....Canjars on many of my older rifles, Jewells on all of my 700s, Timneys on my Sakos, and Jards on my Mausers.

Back in the day the bulk of my Whitetail hunting was in the Adirondacks and I hunted with a model 88 Win. 308 or a model 71 .348. I started using bolt action rifles in the early 90's. I've killed more deer with my .257 Roberts and my .270 than I have with my newer 6.5 Creedmoor but the Creedmoor is my go to rifle most of the time now.
I've also killed more deer with my old Ruger M77 257 Roberts (my all time favorite and truck gun while living on the ranch) than all my other rifles put together!

I've also killed more deer with my old Ruger M77 257 Roberts (my all time favorite and truck gun while living on the ranch) than all my other rifles put together!

My .257 Roberts is a Model 7 MS out of the Custom Shop in Ilion, NY.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.