new varmint cartridge??

mmiedema

Hello everybody. I was reading my new issue of rifleshooter yesterday and I came upon an article about cartridge efficiency. They kept on talking about a cartridge that I had never heard of before, a 5mm-35 SMc . They claim that these SMc cartridges are the ultimate in efficientcy and that it shoots a 40 grain bullet at 4700 fps without any more barrel wear that a 223 rem simply because of the very short, fat case and a somewhat rounded shoulder. Has anyone else heard of this cartridge? I would like to know more. What does SMc stand for and I it accurate? The article says that savage is chambering some rifles in this caliber through its custom shop. Any info is good. THanks

Sounds interesting as I read the same article. Not sure how they seem to think that 7 grains more case capacity breathing down a smaller hole will give them longer barrel life than the .223 Remington? Only time will tell

killzone,
I have had some friends ask me about the exact same topic in recent days, I know for a fact that it has more to do with M.L.McPherson than Elle McPherson, I will try and throw a study on it and get back with you.
UB

Hey budlight, how about some love for the 204. Shoots as flat (or flatter) than the 22-250 with the same appetite for powder as the 223. I know that those light bullets have a lot of wind drift, but the short time of flight helps. It's cheap to make go bang and turns small stuff into red mist! I do like my 338RUM for the bigger stuff though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.