New user

oneshotike

New to your web site and fairly new to long range shooting. Growing up in Indana you dont get the opportunity to shoot game at long range.
About 4 years ago I had a custom long range smokeless powder muzzle loader built for me by HANKINS CUSTOM RIFLES and am very comfortable shooting deer out to 300 yards with it. This gun shoots a 275 grain ballistick extream bullet 3000 feet per second with a 72 grain charge of imr 4198 powder. gun)I could practice out farther and make longer shoots but I havent put the time in at the range for them yet. Are there any other guys on here with the same type of muzzle loader?

I'd like to have a rifle like that or, an Ultimate. But, the regulations here in MI would hinder their use during the regular muzzleloading season, unless you shot blackpowder or a commercially produced substitute. Smokeless propellants are illegal during the muzzleloader season but, can be used during the regular firearm deer season, which I believe is the case in many states.

However, I'll bet it sure is fun shooting 300+yds. How about some long range target pics?

ENCORE
I will post some pics when I figure out this site. As to hunting in MI you could use BUCKHORN black powderduring your muzzle loading season and switch back to smokeless during your rifle season. My buddy has built a few of these for guys in states like yours and this is what they do.

ENCORE
I will post some pics when I figure out this site. As to hunting in MI you could use BUCKHORN black powderduring your muzzle loading season and switch back to smokeless during your rifle season. My buddy has built a few of these for guys in states like yours and this is what they do.

:) I've been shooting BH209 since it became available and is the only propellant that I shoot. I just don't have the ability to shoot much beyond 200yds, probably the longest shot I may have would be 250yds. Its a pretty easy shot with the Pro Hunter, using 75grs WEIGHT and a 250gr TMZ by Barnes.

However....... Having the ability to shoot 300 to 500 yards with a muzzleloader would be a blast. Its remarkable what some custom builders have created with muzzleloaders. If you get the site figured out and can post a pic of the rifle and a couple targets, it would be great to check it out.

Here is a pic of my rifle and a target I shot at 100 yards from a lead sled. I didnt have any pics of my own so I stole these from Jeff, the guy who built it for me. He lives within a hour of my house and I go and shoot with him from time to time.

Attachments

• muzzle_loader[1].jpg
    muzzle_loader[1].jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 111
  • SPML%20Target[1].jpg
    SPML%20Target[1].jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 123
Here is a pic of the first buck I shot with it. It was about 175 yards and didnt go ten or 15 feet after I shot it.:)

Attachments

• Image12192010160958.jpg
    Image12192010160958.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Image12192010161050.jpg
    Image12192010161050.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 104
I plan to start some further testing with my M-L for the Fall. I have a few, but my latest favorite is a Knight Disc 'Elite' in 45 cal. I shoot Blackhorn 209.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.