New trigger for 338 EDGE needed- Help !

Down Under Hunter

I am considering getting a new match grade trigger for my DE 338 edge.

Im going to shoot it a little more but my gut feeling is "change it ".

Having never used a after market trigger before, I dont know what to expect for the extra cost. I'm told the Jewel trigger with the safety is a killer.

How much more shootable would this make the rifle at the extended ranges like 800 M plus ?? I can remember when I had my weatherby trigger tuned down to 1 lb 12 oz that my groups dramatically improved. Could I expect this out of updating to the match grade trigger from the tuned up Rem 700 version.

I see some guys here using big 338's with 1 lb triggers. I know the weight the trigger is set for is personal but what is everybody setting their triggers at on big guns like this ??

Your thoughts much appreciated.

DUH

Give the big girl a Jewel, she'll reward you!

There are other good triggers, but why not go with the best?

Mine is set at just over 1lb.

AJ

I'd get the straight Rem 700 trigger with safety. It will adjust from 1 1/2 oz to around 4lbs.

If you order direct from Jewell, they will set it at a particular pull weight for you.

AJ

A quality re-workimng job on the factory trigger will work wonders and save you a lot of money. However, there is nothing quite like a Jewell. Try one in a buddy's rifle and see if you think it's worth the money.

* If you buy a Jewell, keep the original trigger. When you eventually sell the rifle just pull out the Jewell and put the original trigger back in. Then you'll have a Jewell for your new rifle. (assuming it's the same or similar action)

Missed Call

Hi Simon I tried calling you back yesterday but was to late call tomorrow I will have my mobile with me all day.

Cheers Bill

A quality re-workimng job on the factory trigger will work wonders and save you a lot of money. However, there is nothing quite like a Jewell. Try one in a buddy's rifle and see if you think it's worth the money.

* If you buy a Jewell, keep the original trigger. When you eventually sell the rifle just pull out the Jewell and put the original trigger back in. Then you'll have a Jewell for your new rifle. (assuming it's the same or similar action)

Varmint,

Was thinking the same as you exactly. Now just got to find a gun with the jewell in it to test.

Where is the best price to buy the jewell ??

DUH

one thing you might want to consider about a jewel is they are more prone to malfunction if you expose them to dirt/dust. have heard hunters that spend time out west where it's windy and dusty say it caused their jewel triggers to "go to h---" the great trigger pull is achieved with 4 levers instead of 2 and the close tolerances are more susceptible to malfunction with an invasion of dirt. bottom line...some don't like them for a hunting gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.