new toy showing promise

What velocities are you getting with the lapuas? I want to use this gun for le practice on targets and as well as some hunting so I'm leaning more towards the berger and amaxes, I'm doing th NAB for the time being because my comfort range would ne under 400 yards

I have to find my load data, its been a while... Haven't shot it since mid may. I got replacement for it but its not 260, its 6mm and the whole new game...

Last edited:
Well I finally got to use my new chrono and get some shooting in today and I am very pleased. I did a ladder test earlier this week with some amaxes starting at 42 gr of h4350 and working up in .2 gr increments to 44 gr which is published max per hornady. I got the best groups from 44 but was showing pressure signs and though I didn't pop any primers it did loosen primer pockets too much for a second reload. I settled on 43 gr which was my next best group at just over half moa. Any how, got the chrono set up at about 10 feet tonight and was averaging 2879 fps with a dev of only 5 fps! I was super exited as this is just about exactly what I was hoping for and I'm not seeing any signs of pressure. Using this data I dialed in my information to my shooter app and made a first round hit on hit on a 10 inch Target at 614 yards. I couldn't however seem to hit the sporting clay I had set up at that range as well but I couldn't spot my hit and didn't have a spotter. I tried to stretch out a bit farther to what I believe is about 850 from previous times messing with my range finder but I couldn't seen to get on target. I saw the trace of the bullet once and from what I could tell landed about 1 moa left and just low but I tried adjusting but still nothing, the wind picked up and I only had three rounds left so I have up for the time being. All in all I have to say I am extremely happy with both savage and the .260 so far.

Well I finally got to use my new chrono and get some shooting in today and I am very pleased. I did a ladder test earlier this week with some amaxes starting at 42 gr of h4350 and working up in .2 gr increments to 44 gr which is published max per hornady. I got the best groups from 44 but was showing pressure signs and though I didn't pop any primers it did loosen primer pockets too much for a second reload. I settled on 43 gr which was my next best group at just over half moa. Any how, got the chrono set up at about 10 feet tonight and was averaging 2879 fps with a dev of only 5 fps! I was super exited as this is just about exactly what I was hoping for and I'm not seeing any signs of pressure. Using this data I dialed in my information to my shooter app and made a first round hit on hit on a 10 inch Target at 614 yards. I couldn't however seem to hit the sporting clay I had set up at that range as well but I couldn't spot my hit and didn't have a spotter. I tried to stretch out a bit farther to what I believe is about 850 from previous times messing with my range finder but I couldn't seen to get on target. I saw the trace of the bullet once and from what I could tell landed about 1 moa left and just low but I tried adjusting but still nothing, the wind picked up and I only had three rounds left so I have up for the time being. All in all I have to say I am extremely happy with both savage and the .260 so far.
That's an incredibly consistent velocity. Sounds like you are well on your way.

In long range shooter's Heaven there will be spotters for all.

One nice thing about our dusty country here is you can almost always see your impacts.

I'll have my new .260 AR in, in a couple of weeks so I'll have to start playing with it to see what it likes.

Any how, got the chrono set up at about 10 feet tonight and was averaging 2879 fps with a dev of only 5 fps! I was super exited as this is just about exactly what I was hoping for and I'm not seeing any signs of pressure. Using this data I dialed in my information to my shooter app and made a first round hit on hit on a 10 inch Target at 614 yards..

I just finished my 260 this weekend.
I haven't been able to shoot it yet but if I get the same kind of results I'll be very pleased.
I have loads from 41.0 grains to 42.5 grains H-4350 , Lapua brass and 140 A-Max just waiting to try.
Keep me/us up to date on your load development.

I would stay away from compressed loads, pressure will vary greatly, if you hear powder crunching while seating your bullets, that's compressed...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.