Well, here she is...
IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Action: Winchester Model 70 (post 64), Long Action
Barrel: Krieger Heavy Varmint Countour 1 in 8 twist ~27.5"
Stock: MPI tactical....modified slightly with custom camo by TMR
Scope: Leupold VX-III 6.5x20-50mm LRT........THANKS BJ!!
Rings: TPS Medium rings
Base: EGW 25 MOA
Finish: Action is Brownell's ovenbake teflon, barrel is custom snakeskin print bead-blasting.

A huge thanks needs to go out to my brother, TMR, who did most of the work on this rifle. So far, it seems to be shooting great, although we haven't had a chance to shoot over the chrono yet. I just put this scope on today at lunch, so it's back to the range to get it sighted back in.

Looks great and should shoot better than it looks. I love savage actions but a winchester is a close second. Don't see many customs on winchesters but don't really now why. I really like the flat bedding and fixed recoil lug. Should be a great rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hmmmmmm,

That looks familiar....now if you would just join the VHA, we can get some downrange club stuff going. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmmm,

That looks familiar....now if you would just join the VHA, we can get some downrange club stuff going. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Done!

SenderoMan,
The MPI stocks seem pretty nice, but I will say that I would like a little more width on the forend and a little bigger swell in the grip area. TMR would have a better answer as far as working on these stocks though, as he did all the work on it.

Thanks Wildcat.

The plan is to use the Berger 105gr VLD. TMR is shooting them at around 3300 fps in his gun and I'll most likely stick with that load, depending on how it performs in the heat...supposed to be near 100 this weekend!

Sendero_Man

The MPI Stocks are ok, they just take alot of work to get them correct. This stock pretty much duplicates an A-2 stock. I have one on my STW that I cut the forend down to the A-3 style stock. When you get one, it will weigh in just under 2 lbs. The grip area has to be filled to add stiffness and the forend as well. This stock weighed around 3.75 lbs when finished. My STW stock weighs right at 3 lbs. MPI is reasonably priced and quick to deliver, but they are definitely not a drop in stock.

300yd shooting

I think I've finally settled on a load for this gun.
Powder: 48.5 grains of Reloader 22
Bullet: Berger 105gr VLD
Primer: CCI 200
Velocity is right around 3300fps

Group at 300yds from a bipod off of a shooting bench (a wee bit bouncy!)
0320080814.jpg

I have been shooting 49.0 grains, but have been running into problems with temperature and this load just shoots too good to mess with.

1 in 8 twist, and I believe the OAL is 2.210" to the ogive. That measurement is just from memory though, have to check on it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.