New to the sport

Nynni

Hi everybody.

My name is Jon and I'm trying to start practicing long range target shooting and later long range hunting.

I haven't gotten a large caliber rifle yet and need some help picking one. I live in Iceland, and the gun laws and price of guns/scopes/bullets etc. over here are horrible for gun enthusiasts.

I was wondering if I should ask for advice here or make a new thread in the beginners section?

What are the specific restrictions? What game do you plan on shooting and at what range (you may not need a "large" caliber rifle)? There are many excellent calibers with all sorts of applications. I assume you're interested in something in 338 caliber but if there are specifec restrictions on this, there are many options. Welcome, I'm also fairly new here.

Welcome, Nunni, and yes please post your question in the Begginers section where more helpers will see it.

Thanks for the welcome.

To landcbeitner: Maybe I should have chosen my words better. I was thinking something along the lines of a .308, which is a large caliber to me but maybe not some of you. I do believe owning a .338 requires a special license around here. When and if my shooting gets good enough to start hunting at long ranges I plan on shooting seals, reindeer & looking into whether shooting geese at long range is a good idea.

I'm going to make a thread in the beginners section about what I should pick, so if you have some advice it would be appreciated if you would reply to my thread there.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.