New to the forum

cmillett79

Hello there , Im new here . I saw this link posted up at another shooters forum that I frequent regularly.
Im currently stationed in Iraq working a DOD contract and looking to FINALLY invest in a nice long range rig when I return. I have several semi custom rifles (all remys and wins,standard sporters and mountain rifles) that shoot under an inch. I enjoy shooting them across my small lake,which is a little over 400yds. Thats probly not near as far as some of you but hey at least I can shoot ;)
I havent made my mind up exactly on who to go with on my new rig.So far as the caliber ,I decided to go with the tried and true 300 win mag. I am currently looking at H&S precisions varmint and tactical rifle,or maybe possably a M700 sendero to fix up. I would love to build one with a M70 action (w/claw extractor)..I havent made my mind up as of yet,Ive learned over my last 29 yrs of shooting and hunting to be open minded ;)
Looking fowards to all of your advice.

Craig

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

There are so many good smiths around, that you will have a hard time making a poor choice.

M700 or M70 are great choices.

Stay safe over there.

AJ

Welcome aboard. It's a great place to lean all kinds of stuff.

Keep dreamin' about the new rifle. That's the fun part. Then comes the wait after ordering, then the great fun/enjoyment when it's time to shoot.

Be safe over there........

Craig,
Welcome! Briefly, thanks for puttin' your life on hold so the rest of us don't have too!! Two years ago I bought a Sendero in 300 win mag. Very nice rifle. You can true and bed the action, adjust or replace the trigger, and add a brake. If you want more you may as well go custom. One point, the majority of your accuracy comes from barrel quality. Unless you go custom you are simply gambling. I too am a fan of the model 70. However when I went to have my first custom built the smith preferred to use a 700. Faster lock time, easy to work on, overall he fealt we'd get a better end product out of a 700. We did add a Sako extractor.

I have experience with two smiths on this forum. Shawn Carlock and Kirby Allen. My experiences have been positive, and they both have a rock solid reputation. Good luck, have fun!

Thanks for the warm welcome people !

Thanks for shareing your thoughts as well Grit. Yes the faster lock time on the M700 makes since,and by combining it with the sako extactor makes it even better.So many options hmmmmm ;)

Just to throw this out there. Im looking at purchasing a rifle that I wont have to send back anf forth half a dozen times to work the bugs out of it. That is one reason I was looking into the H&Ss,perferably the varmint rifle.Any thoughts on these ? and any other recommendations along those lines ?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts