New to RIFLE handloading

Tyler700

I have loaded quite a bit of .45 acp and .40 S&W, but never have I loaded for rifles. Long story short, now that I have a reasonably accurate rifle or two, I would like to get the full potential out of them. I would like recommendations for powder, bullet and primer for .308. I have a savage 10 PC with a 1:10 twist and a remington 700 SPS tactical with a 1:12 twist. I am looking to build up a load for each (for now just for target shooting). I am aware that it will probably take a noob like myself a while to figure out this hand loading stuff, but I am actually very excited to try! I have a friend who is very experienced who is going to help me through it the first couple of times.

Right off, it's one less die. Bottleneck dies are typicall one less than straight walled pistol dies.

You need to watch the COAL as bottleneck brass grows, that and neck concentricity and projectile insertion depth is about the only differences between rifle and pistol, well, other than the amount of propellant.

5 grains of whatever in a 45 case is a lot..... heck I use 3.5 grains in lead projectile 44 mags for indoors....... 5 grains in a rifle case ain't squat.

I'm so excited! I just picked up some varget, some 210M primers, and 168gr sierra matchkings!!! Next up I need a new set of calipers and a case trimmer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.