New to reloading!

XILoveGunsX

Hey there. New to the forums really and new to reloading. I have been around guns my whole life and have heard and read a lot about reloading. Lately I have been wanting to start doing my own reloading. I also want to start doing some longer range shooting, and figured that reloading would go well with that. I have been told by my dad, who used to do a little reloading forever back, and other friends to start with an RCBS Rock Chucker Kit. I will be loading for a .308. Not sure if that matters much as to what press to get, just thought I should share. I have plenty of room to set up. My budget to get totally setup would probably be around $300. Just looking for some advice on what equipment would be good from me, from the press to the scale. Any input would be great!

Welcome,
The Rockchucker is a great place to start. I've been reloading since age 14 and am still using my Rockchucker. If possible find a mentor to show you the ropes and make the learning curve less painful.

Welcome to LRH and to reloading. I was in the same boat almost 2 years ago. Best (fair) warning I ever got is that "it's a hobby and it's an obsession". :D

Anyway, I built my bench portable and started with a Lyman Deluxe Expert Kit for $299 at BassPro. At the time, they were offering a 6-month interest free payment plan.

1.jpg

004-1.jpg

No you do not need to get a kit but this met my needs/wants. I don't know what you consider a complete set up but as you can see with my set up, I still needed calipers and dies to get me started. Anyways, I am sure it can be done, keep your eyes open for sales on reloading equipments.

I am sure that the reloading gurus will chime in soon. Good luck and happy safe reloading, shooting, and hunting.

Again, welcome!

Ed

NOTE ADDED:

Currently, I do not use the auto primer set up (prefer RCBS hand held primer) and powder measure dispenser (use Lee scoops since I do not mass load, mostly load dev't).

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice guys!

FEENIX,
Another hobby, or obsession, can't hurt to much right? I'm young and restless :D That's a neat station you have there. And that's probably the most complete kit I have seen on the net or in shops. That's nice it has an electric scale. I think I will check that out.

fj40mojo,
Seems my dad was right again, and I probably wouldn't have gone wrong. Yea, it usually works out that way doesn't it? Did you just buy the press separate and buy all the rest of the tools after? Or did you buy the kit they offer?

Thanks again for the welcome and advice, I hope to be doing some reloading by October, before it becomes a task to get dressed and go outside and shoot.

Thanks for the welcome, and the advice guys!
fj40mojo,
Seems my dad was right again, and I probably wouldn't have gone wrong. Yea, it usually works out that way doesn't it? Did you just buy the press separate and buy all the rest of the tools after? Or did you buy the kit they offer?

Actually received the Rockchucker Master Reloading Kit from my dad as a gift after I moved out of the house one Christmas. I added an additional kit later that included a stand for my powder measure, calipers, and some other stuff. I use most all of it except for the APS primer setup which is still in the box never used. I think the kit is a good way to get started but you can find some good deals on Craigslist and the like on used equipment. I watched a guy walk into a local reloading place this summer, held the door for him, he took a RC MRK in new in the box and sold it for $50. If I'd known what he was up to I'd have bought it for a little more and had a second press on my bench.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.