New to predator hunting in Oregon

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by doranSpenst, Dec 28, 2008.

1. doranSpenst

doranSpenst New Member

I live in western Oregon. I have always hunted elk, deer, blackbear, and love to fish. I have been noticing over the last couple of years the declining deer populations and have become increasingly aware of the neccesity for predator management by hunters. Not only will I be helping the deer and elk populations, but will really improve my overall hunting and shooting skills. I only have a 300 winchester mag, and 12 gauge for the moment. I would really like to get a 22-250 or 204 ruger but funds are tight right now. I am trying to decide if I should invest in a used single shot or wait and buy a bolt action.

2. Goofycat

Goofycat Well-Known Member

It all depends on the size and type of predator you want to hunt. What did you have in mind predator-wise?

3. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Wait. Depending on what the single shot is, but Id wait.
    The 223wssm is just a tic faster than the 22-250 AI, but both are fun L/R varmint cal-cartriges. The 243, and 243AI, 260 rem, and 6.5wssm seem to kick some butt way out there too, but it all depends how far, and what critters. Ive used my 30-06, 270wsm, and 300wby to kill coyotes, birds, and sage rats, but they arent exactly your Ideal varmint whackers:D. Well nice to see you found L/R/H. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we do.