New to predator hunting in Oregon

doranSpenst

I live in western Oregon. I have always hunted elk, deer, blackbear, and love to fish. I have been noticing over the last couple of years the declining deer populations and have become increasingly aware of the neccesity for predator management by hunters. Not only will I be helping the deer and elk populations, but will really improve my overall hunting and shooting skills. I only have a 300 winchester mag, and 12 gauge for the moment. I would really like to get a 22-250 or 204 ruger but funds are tight right now. I am trying to decide if I should invest in a used single shot or wait and buy a bolt action.

I live in western Oregon. I have always hunted elk, deer, blackbear, and love to fish. I have been noticing over the last couple of years the declining deer populations and have become increasingly aware of the neccesity for predator management by hunters. Not only will I be helping the deer and elk populations, but will really improve my overall hunting and shooting skills. I only have a 300 winchester mag, and 12 gauge for the moment. I would really like to get a 22-250 or 204 ruger but funds are tight right now. I am trying to decide if I should invest in a used single shot or wait and buy a bolt action.

Wait. Depending on what the single shot is, but Id wait.
The 223wssm is just a tic faster than the 22-250 AI, but both are fun L/R varmint cal-cartriges. The 243, and 243AI, 260 rem, and 6.5wssm seem to kick some butt way out there too, but it all depends how far, and what critters. Ive used my 30-06, 270wsm, and 300wby to kill coyotes, birds, and sage rats, but they arent exactly your Ideal varmint whackers:D. Well nice to see you found L/R/H. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we do.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.