new to me 300 RUM Sendero

kweidner

I picked up a 300 RUM sendero this week. It has a vias break and had been shot a total of 14 times. Good friend of mine decided he'd stick with his STW. Originally he bought two boxes of Remington factory foder one in 150 scirocco and 180 scirocco. I shot them both yesterday at 100 and BOTH of them group in LESS than .600 in a factory offering. Our whitetails are on the small side over here (less than 200 pounds ave) and i have had problems with penciling through with the scirocco in my 6.5x.284. i moved to the 120 tsx with it. Do you guys have any load suggestions for me to with the 300 RUM. 45 dollars a box is not an option. I prefer to roll my own anyway. This thing has great potential. I want to be able to put them down from 100 to 1000. Was thinking maybe hornady sst or berger. I am open let me hear your suggestions.

kweidner, i to have just prchased a 300 rum and am working up loads with 210 bergers. shot a 4 grain ladder yesterday and settled on 91 gr of retumbo. Today i will go up .1 from 90.7 to 90.4 and see where i am at. will try and chrono these loads today.

I had a pile if re22 laying around (12 pounds). Figured I would give it a whirl. Local gunsmith had a box of 150 mrx and 150 interbonds. figured I could try the MRX while I was waiting on the bergers. Prepped the once fired brass. flash hole, pocket uniform, trimmed, and turned necks to 90percent clean. Started at 94 in .5 increments. got to 95 .400 groups and 3590 fps. no pressure signs still .5 under published max and bug hole groups. Still have 41 out of the box of 50. Extreme spread was 4 fps. Really? I have never found a good consistent load that fast except one time with my cooper 6.5 x .284. I expected that one though! But a 4 foot ES 85 fps over published data with a bc of .420 with no pressure signs to boot come on! I can surely stick with these as they are probably good to 600 as I load some heavys for 1000 yds plus. I am currently tumbling brass and am going to shoot a 10 shot group over chrony. Gun now has 38 rounds out of it.

190 SMK, 180 Ballistic Silvertips,and A-Max 178 or 208gr have been our best performers. Retumbo, RL-25, and RL-22 were the preferred powders.

Well did my test on the bergers, and sorry about the misprint in the last post, it should have read 90.7 to 91.4gr not 90.4.. shot the best at 90.9gr retumbo, at a .745" 3 shot group seated to fit magazine. 3.662" oal. only issue i have is i was only getting 2977 avg vel. from 5. 18 es. i have heard of almost 3100fps out of this load. am i mistaken? no pressure signs yet, should i go higher and see?? new to the retumbo and magnum thing so any input is apprieciated. thanks again for your time.

I was using 96 grains of H1000 in the same model gun with the 210 burger and the 208 A-Max. both were 3150fps. do not shoot the lighter bullets at a screaming speed like you are or you will get very very short barrel life. believe me I know, 450 out of mine and the barrel was toast.

update. I was able to strech it's legs this week. 95 graims of r22 loaded with wrm and the 150 ttsx. Chrony right at 3600. Steel target 850 yds. 62 clicks of up. 1/8 moa clicks. Ding 1 inch high. ding ding little bit less than 3 inches ctc. She's a keeper. I am going to start working this week with the heavys so i will not burn out the throat. The energy at 850 was putting slight dents in the 3/8. boiler plate. I have a comfortable deer round to there anyway. bout to go shoot at 1k. i figure it's a good round number :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.