New to long range shooting

BTW if you are stuck on shooting factory ammo at least for now the Remington Accutip, Grizzly with the 130gr ScirroccoII, and Federal fusion 130gr have all shot very well for me out to 800yds in the .260 Rem.
remington premier accu-tip-180=the illusive hornady 180grn amax ;)

Really? Have a link for that bit of info?

Since hornady doesn't make the Amax in 180gr how is that possible?

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Search results

The interbond however comes in 180gr and has the exact same ballistic coefficient.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .308 30 CAL :: 30 Cal .308 180 gr InterBond®

no they don't have it listed because its sold under remingtons name. however if you have bullet flight fte or several other ballistic apps you will see it listed and will be very impressed with its coeff (.58 g1). I emailed hornady about it some time ago. and no its not the interbond or the sst. the construction is similar to the sst but has a longer nose profile

no they don't have it listed because its sold under remingtons name. however if you have bullet flight fte or several other ballistic apps you will see it listed and will be very impressed with its coeff (.58 g1). I emailed hornady about it some time ago. and no its not the interbond or the sst. the construction is similar to the sst but has a longer nose profile
Straight from Hornady this morning. No it's not an Amax. It's basically an SST or Interlock but it's a Remington proprietary product that Hornady manufactures for them.

Straight from Hornady this morning. No it's not an Amax. It's basically an SST or Interlock but it's a Remington proprietary product that Hornady manufactures for them.
put it next to either one. its neither. ballistic fte has it listed as 180 amax i use this bullet all the time the .58 works also. its almost the same profile as the 178 grn amax just has a slightly longer nose and is crimped.

put it next to either one. its neither. ballistic fte has it listed as 180 amax i use this bullet all the time the .58 works also. its almost the same profile as the 178 grn amax just has a slightly longer nose and is crimped.
It's the exact same BC is either the SST or Interlock and is structurally most similar to the Interlock.

That is according to the actual manufacturer of the bullet.

I don't usually take sides with wise *** aka wildrose but a 178 amax has a .495bc the 180 interbond sst has a secant ogive virtually identical to the amax, actually a little longer, and has the cannelur "crimp" you speak of and carries a G1 avg of .547, only .58 at over 2600fps. And it is bonded, really do you think Hornady is going to market a bullet designated as "match only" as a hunting bullet, no they won't. I hunt with amax's they are very effective at extended ranges but up close they are extremely frangible.

the 180 interbond sst has a secant ogive virtually identical to the amax, actually a little longer, and has the cannelur "crimp" you speak of and carries a G1 avg of .547, only .58 at over 2600fps.

Where are you getting your BC's? They show .480 for the 180 SST and Interbond.

Tank

Tank you are right I was hung up in the .5s, its a .447 G1 avg and .480 static or over 2600fps, my bad, let me hold my mouth open so I can switch feet!

Tank you are right I was hung up in the .5s, its a .447 G1 avg and .480 static or over 2600fps, my bad, let me hold my mouth open so I can switch feet!

That's okay man... no biggie. I just know that I had searched that bullet and there was a reason I didn't pick it for an LR bullet. So I checked after reading you and WR's comments to double check. Drive on my friend, drive on!

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts