New to Long Range Shooting

Colorado Hunt

Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to long range shooting.

First I have two rifles and not sure which caliber would be optimal to convert to a long range shooting system? I plan to hunt mule deer and antelope.
1. Tikka T-3 270 WSM
2. Steyr - Daimler 7X57 (with set trigger)

I would like to purchase a new scope for this rifle and would like feedback on the Vortex Viper PST, Leupold or other suggestions?

From an ammo perspective what manufactured bullets would you recommend for the rifle of choice?

Lastly, are there any books that simplify long range shooting or gun stores in Colorado with knowledgeable staff to help out someone new to the sport?

I appreciate your time and input.

That 270WSM will be a hammer. That is the route I would go. Look at Night Force, Sightron SIII, Vortex Viper PST, Weaver Tactical, SWFA SS 5-20HD. They are all good options unless you have the bucks for Premiere, Schmidt & Bender, or US Optics. Ammunition you want to look for 140+ grain in a boat tail design of some type.

Tank

1) Spend an hour or 2 a day reading the articles and forums on this site.
2) If possible, start gathering reloading equipment. It will pay for itself in a very short time AND will make your rifle a better shooter.

AJ

My go to rifle for everything I hunt is my Tikka 270 wsm. I shoot the 150 grain winchester ballistic silver tips. I took a 200# bear at 982 yards this year with it. Long range isn't really something you just learn it takes a lot of trigger time

Which one do you want to shoot more? Learn the basics, then buy some steel and hit the field. I've never seen someone get better at shooting by doing anything but.

For the 270WSM- 140 or 150 berger VLDs are nice. The 7x57, 162Amax is the best .284", but I don't think the 7x57 will push it very fast. I'm a fan of Leupold. Maybe because I sell them and they're the best "bang for my Buck". NightForce is very nice as well, but expensive. I put a premium on durability, so these two are at the top of my list.

1) Spend an hour or 2 a day reading the articles and forums on this site.
2) If possible, start gathering reloading equipment. It will pay for itself in a very short time AND will make your rifle a better shooter.

AJ
+1. most questions here can be answered rem sendero and leup 6.5-20. add a good range finder and handloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.