new to long range shooting

mhiltz

Hello everyone,

I'm new to long range shooting, I joined this forum in hopes of finding knowledge on the subject. Also, I just bought a 7mmRUM for 1000yds shooting and am hearing alot of negative responses on it. I hear the people on this forum are in general very positive about such calibers, and will answer my questions rather than just give me negative responses.:)

thanks

mhiltz

Last edited:
I dont know much at all about the 7mm RUM. I know that the 7mm rem mag has some great potential for long range shooting and can be set up for 1000 yard target rifle any day. I know the 7mm bullets are perfect for long range hunting and shooting so with the extra powder, power and speed, the 7mm RUM should be great.

What bullets do you plan on using?

You will find that any caliber that pushes a long bullet fast will be criticized as a barrel burner. 90% of the occasional shooters or average hunters who hear barrel burner attached to a caliber spread it like wild fire. And being an RUM it will come with some amount of recoil, more bad rap. Basically in many cases it is simply "Penis envy"( hope I didn't break any rules by using that term). You got a Vette and they are driving an oldsmobile. Of course there is nothing wrong with the olds, it just isn't a vette. If you shoot it a lot, will it burn out the barrel? Very likely, however, it is a great cartridge for your purpose. That is the first thing you see on most forums when you read about any RUM, STW, or any 6.5 capable of pushing a 140 grain bullet beyond 3,000 fps. Plain fact is that if they drove that olds as much as we shoot our long range rifles, it wouldn't last 30 + years either.

The 7 rum is a great cal. It will tend to burn a barrel relatively fast, so I would not recommend using it for a lot of plinking. It will flat out get it done as far as down range ballistics are concerned.

So you may meet some guys here that are not big fans of the 7 rum, but that does not change what it is capable of, just not their cup of tea.

What are you planning on shooting with it? How far?

Steve

PS
Welcome.

i would agree with all of the above.
used just for hunting the barrel burners will still last many years. get a muzzel brake on it for the prime reason of seeing your own hits. it will also help on the recoil end.
use a 308 or other good cartridge for your practice sessions.
try to find some guys who actually do this stuff and are successful at it.
the key word is successful, as lots of guys own the tools.
listen to them before you listen to somebody on line whos maybe only read books about it.
dont be tempted to buy gadgets, learn to shoot well and thats all you will need. good luck and good hunting.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! The 7 MM round's BC is awesome and is perfectly suited for the LR shooting and hunting. Sure it goes through a barrel quicker than a .30 or .33 cal, but as others already noted, if you use it for hunting, you'll be fine esp if you stay within the norms (not too hot of a load).

You should be a pro by the time the barrel goes out ... and can re-barrel to a different caliber. Meantime, relax and enjoy it.

Happy safe shooting and hunting.

Ed

there is a point I didn't think of that I actually do adhere to with my 2 6.5-284's Where I step my loads back for just shooting to what would be maximum for a 6.5x55 or standard 260, you could step yours back to hot 7 rem mag velocities and still maintain a little less pressure while using a bit faster powder, and this could add considerably to your barrel life. My target loads for my 6.5-284's are doing between 2750 and 2850 with 130 grain VLD's where my hunting loads push 3150 with 140 grain VLD's. I can still shoot targets at long range as these are high BC projectiles to start with, but I don't need the energy that I am capable of carrying to that distance, I believe this will help by adding a few hundred rounds to the barrel. Can't say for certain but I would surmise that with less pressure you could preserve your barrel life a little if it is a concern.

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. I agree with what others have said about the 7mm rum. I would shot as often as you like, enjoy and not worry about burning out the barrel. Barrels are relatively cheap in the scheme of things so just get another. If everytime I drive a vette (no I don't own one) I had to worry about putting more miles on it then I ought to buy an Olds. Enjoy.

I am likeing my howa 1500 varmit in a 308 win. 55grs. Varget pushing 155gr.hornady a-max.
We shoot from 200 to 500 yard comp. Bench rest. I sight in at 200 yards using a leupold 6.5-20x40 target scope. I have found that a-max for the buck is the most accurate. Have fun!!! Chaz

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.