new to elk hunting

markkent

I have hunted elk for 4 seasons and had 50% sucess with my bow. considering a rifle not to heavy not to light, caliber wise, max range will be +/- 500/600 yds. I really need to lengthen my seasons i think the rifle will enable me to stay on the hill longer and enjoy a longer elk season. all imput will be helpfull im sure. i presently have been using a model 7 in 7mm-08 works great inside 248yds, 'ranged', but am unsure of this calibers effectiveness beyond that. which caliber do you prefer/ recommend?

fungus, The 7/08 is light on elk but does work if you limit range. If you like a short cartridge, look at the 300 WSM. Works in a short action, rifle weight can be kept down to 8-9 lb area with factory rifles. Good accuracy & lots of elk killing bullets in 165 + grain area. Rifle will easily handle 500-600 yd shots if you do your part.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.