new to bears

The .338-06 is another good choice. Yes it's made from 30-06 cases. Every time I think about a 338-06 I get a bit of "mission creep", if you've gone that far the .338 Winchester is just a bit further. Rifle will be comparably configured, with better performance.

ducmark,Ihad a .270,280& 30-06.Decided to make something heavier so purchased Shilen .338-06A-square barrel.Took .280Rem.Mtn. and had a smith mount&bed it. Bought Nosler 200gr.Accubonds and it will put 3 in 1/2"group.Bought everything from Midway.Recoil is less than 30-06&much less than ..338win. mag I had. Good deer,elk,moose,bear weapon.

i've about decided on the .338-06 ai or gibbs. found a nice springfeild 03a3 at a local shop(almost all my rifles are military) that someone has ruined by tapping the receiver and shortening the barrel.now wheres a good place to get a barrel and have installed. was thinking of douglas . want it light for a pack rifle is 22" too short and a #1 contour or can should i go to featherweight? whats the weight difference between a wood stock and a plastic one? i've allways been a wood guy but trying to save weight.
'

ducmark,my thoughts would be a3or4 weight barrel,24" for full velocity. go with synthetic stock(hs,etc) Which will be lighter than wood.many good barrel makers so check their sites or your smiths ideas.good shootin!

I took a 338/06 with me on a bear hunt in October, Rem w/ #3 fluted barrel, it weighs in at <7.5 lbs scoped. Shoots the 200 Accubond very well. Didn't shoot anything though.

In .358 Win, this was my favorite in the thick stuff and out to 200yds or so. Speer 220gr FP performs extremely well on bear and deer. Lots of premium bullets out there as well. I used a Leupold 1-4X with heavy duplex reticule in the thick dark stuff.
Pics027_zps6983dafd.jpg

I personally prefer large diameter heavy for caliber bullets... never been much of a minimalist. I have used 375 rum and 338 win on black bear this year I will be using a 416 Rigby. You want to break Bones so you need to equip yourself to do so. I have only been bear hunting for going on 3 years this will be my 5th season because I bait spring and fall. I have seen several bears killed in the last couple years over my baits. I have yet to see one fall where it was dead. My dad shot one with a 300wby in the neck. it dropped and rolled down the hill. when he hiked up to retrieve it he charged my dad. People say they are not as tough as they look. I dont know how I feel about that. they dont have thick hide but skin one out and look at the bone structure then tell me its not an impressive animal. They are unbelievably dense with muscle too. knowing what I do about bears I am very much in favor of heavy for caliber bullets and large diameter if possible...there is no down side to it

In .358 Win, this was my favorite in the thick stuff and out to 200yds or so. Speer 220gr FP performs extremely well on bear and deer. Lots of premium bullets out there as well. I used a Leupold 1-4X with heavy duplex reticule in the thick dark stuff.
Pics027_zps6983dafd.jpg
I agree with the .358 bullets .I use the 220gr in a 35 Whelen and a 350 Remington mag.They are very accurate and they do the a job on a bear.

I personally prefer large diameter heavy for caliber bullets... never been much of a minimalist. I have used 375 rum and 338 win on black bear this year I will be using a 416 Rigby. t

What do the motor head guys say? No replacement for displacement.

Agreed!

I have an early '50's sporter built on an '03 Springfield that had been to Africa a couple times, according to the owner's widow. Has an integral ribbed .416 barrel, no chambering markings. Chamber casts indicated a wildcat and finally figured out that the 'smith ran a .404 Jeffrey reamer into to 2.5", making it a .416 Jeffrey Short or something similiar - I still don't know what to call it so just named her "Thumper". I guess it was a standard length 416 Ultra Mag before Remington thought up the Ultra Mag.
I got some HDS Jeffrey brass, mangled it down to fit and fireformed it. I've not shot it alot but the 400 gr. cast loads I've used shot very, very well. It feeds just like '06 in that action - slick. The action rails appear unaltered. It's fitted with a Lyman receiver sight and ivory bead. I need optics unless the light is perfect and don't want to drill and tap this one. I sure would like to see a bear over that front sight someday though.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.