New Tikka Velocity is SLOW.

bkondeff

I have a new Tikka T-3 in 25-06. I started with two bags of brass, did a little sorting, and I am now mixing fireforming brass with some load development. I am using the Nosler Guide #6, and loading middle level charges in 6 different powders. I've used 100 gr Ballistic Tips and Accubonds and so far I am average almost 300 fps below book. I expected 150, but not 300. Powders include IMR 4350 and 4831, RL 17,19, and 22, and Retumbo. The fastest load has barely broke 3000, with the slowest in the high 2700's.

Barrel is cleaned between each group and Fed 210 primers are used.

Does this seem normal? Does the 22+ inch barrel cost me that much velocity. The bullets is seated to kiss the lands, that should add velocity not take it away right?

The nosler #4 uses a 24" barrel and that will cost some velocity. Not sure how much though. Every rifle will have slightly different chamber size, freebore... and other things that will vary the pressure and velocity some. Tikka barrels are known to be very very good for a factory rifle.

Last edited:
Have you seen pressure signs? You may have a large chamber or lots of freebore and are not building pressure.

No pressure signs, I am fireforming the cases so I'm trying to keep middle of the road loads and somewhat consistent pressures, but I'm still WAY below book. I figured the barrel length was good for up to 100 fps and the fact that the book always seems to exaggerate would acount for another 50-75, but I'm still way under that. Again I do have the bullets seated to kiss the rifling so I figure that should build some pressure also.

I'm not positive, but I think that seating the bullets farther from the rifling would yield higher velocities. I would have guessed the 150 fps as well. THat does sound a little slow. Is your chrono working properly? Did you check your scale with weights?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.