new target and hunting rifle.

matt_3479

On the off days i really like to get out and do a little bit of target shooting as well as some days out in the field shooting small game like squirrels, rabbits, skunks, raccoons, and crows. I love the challenge of long range shots. 100 yards and further with little rim fires and stuff. My 22LR is wicked accurate out to about 50 yards and its still not bad out too 75 but anything past that and i might as well try my luck with a rock.

I love my semi but its a semi and its heavy. Id rather a bolt action, and a little smaller. I already have a 22 LR so id like something different. Im almost positive it will be a 17 HMR. Any suggestions on which rifle? I was thinking the CZ 452 American or the Savage 93R17 BVSS. I really like the look of both rifles! the savage is cheaper and its suppose to be about the same. I know the CZ should shoot a little better but i think i like the look of the savage better. What do you think?

I had the marlin 17hmr if I was you I would consider a 22 mag. It has a lot more knockdown power than the 17. Especially if your hunting coons and such. The 17 is good if your good at follow up shots. But it is very explosive on birds and small rabbits and prairie dogs. Ultimately it's your choice.:D The marlin will shoot same hole out to 100 yards with hornady 17grain vmax.

I bought the kids the CZ 452 youth, mounted a NIkon 4x and it shoots like a house a fire...The fit and finish of the rifle blow away the Savages. Gun cost me just shy of 400 but my kids kids will be shooting it. I also have a few Marlins and they are great for the price. Not a fan of the Savage, just don't see the quality. I always say you get what you pay for...good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.