new tactical

SDflyfisher

I need some advice on a new scope for my Rem 700 .308. I already have a Leupold VX-III 6.5x20x40mm with a varmint reticle outfitted on the rifle. I bought the scope for this rifle to hunt and also possibly do some long range shooting, which was the reason I bought the gun to reach out to those animals way out there. I am of course very pleased with the performance of the Leupold but am looking for a new scope set up. A tactical scope is more of what I'm leaning on getting. I'm trying to get around 20x power ranges and get a little bit bigger objective lens 40mm 50mm 56mm etc. The two Brands I have in mind would be new to my use because I have not shot a rifle that doesn't have a Leupold scope on it. Millett and Vortex are two that I have been looking at recently and need your guy's opinion on. In particular here are the specific two I am curious on:
Millett
http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/lrs/
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/287209/millett-tactical-long-range-lrs-rifle-scope-35mm-tube-6-25x-56mm-side-focus-mil-dotbar-reticle-with-rings-matte
Vortex
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/650660/vortex-viper-pst-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-6-24x-50mm-side-focus-illuminated-ebr-1-moa-reticle-matte

Well hunting wise anything from skunk, coyote, deer, antelope, and elk. Kinda a large spectrum of animals but towards the big game side of that I need/want to be able to reach out to the 200-300yd range and 400-600yd range i suppose. On the flip side just going out to shoot I want to get into that 900-1000yd range.

Why do you need 20X magnification? Glare performance in those scopes is pretty bad. I recommend you drop down to 4-16X50. Glare performance will be better, and you'll have a wider FOV in case something jumps out in front of you on the trail.

Vortex or Millett scopes have below average glare performance - not ideal for big game hunting IMHO. I would recommend a Zeiss Conquest, although the price is higher. You could shoot big game out to 500+ yds with the Z-600 reticle, then use turrets for long range targets. There are other options in the $750-1,000 price range.

You already have a good scope,better than some you showed.Just add a adjustable turret,from custom shop.Then you can use your last hash on reticle as a dial off point.Less clicks to get out there.Done this on several hold over type reticles

millet is not even in the same remote league as vortex unless your talking about millets top end vs vortex's crossfire line

bruce, glare performance hasn't been a personal issue for me, but I have taken what you said into consideration. Do a lot of these higher end scopes i.e vortexes and now to my interest weaver have huge problems with glare in there higher power scopes and what can i do to rid the glare if it is a issue with the higher power.... sunshades?

sp6x6, so I'm not all that savvy when it comes to scopes in general but defiantly not in the aspect of customizing scopes. So your telling me I can put turrets on my VX-III? The only question I have with that, is that scope dialing performance meant for that per say? I would think that scope is more meant for like a set setting not to be ripping up and down on the dial, and correct me if I'm wrong on that because of my lack of knowledge. Also I have been wondering with my particular scope, do i have to tap it to get the reticles to move or when i adjust it and am looking at the reticles are they quote "moving" technically as i move the knob? I know older scopes had the whole tap it to get the settings to change to current moves.

Check out the Sightron SIII line of scopes. They are really really nice and not too bad on price. You can also get a MOA reticle too, which makes holding wind easy. As well as fast hold over for "shorter" shots. Personally I think they are one of the best scopes for a decent price.

I'm with 6x6, just send it to Leupold and spend the one hundred sum odd bucks for the turrets. While its there spend another hundred bucks and change the reticle if you want. Nothing wrong with the scope you have.

I'll have to shoot them a email and ask them what they can do for me and some costs. Thanks for the suggestion

P.S. Leupold's new site is up and running! Dont know how different it looks from what it use to be but it seems pretty neat and easy to navigate!

I'll have to shoot them a email and ask them what they can do for me and some costs. Thanks for the suggestion

P.S. Leupold's new site is up and running! Dont know how different it looks from what it use to be but it seems pretty neat and easy to navigate!

Can you be more specific on what Leupold you have now? 30mm LR version, 1" version?? You may already have all of the scope you need. You can go in many directions with the scope you already have.

SDflyfisher said:
bruce, glare performance hasn’t been a personal issue for me, but I have taken what you said into consideration. Do a lot of these higher end scopes i.e vortexes and now to my interest weaver have huge problems with glare in there higher power scopes and what can i do to rid the glare if it is a issue with the higher power.... sunshades?

I'm talking about veiling glare, not lens flare. It degrades contrast in most hunting situations. Low glare is what makes the image in good German scopes pop out at you. You wouldn't notice much glare in a VX-III, because those scopes have average to above average (low) glare.

Of all the scopes discussed in his thread, Sightron and Millett have the worse glare. Vortex is next (still below average). The Leupold is best. Which model Weaver are you looking at?

Glare increases for larger apertures and higher magnification. You need a large aperture for big game. If you go with one of these scopes with high glare, don't buy one that goes higher than 14X mag, and use a 4" sunshade.

You can make your VX-III work but it's not optimum. I would go with larger aperture and lower magnification. 4-12X50 to 4.5-14X50 would be good. I don't see why you need 20X, unless you have vision problems like astigmatism.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.