New Stock Advice.

cap06040

Hello LRH world,

I purchased a rem 700 ADL .308 a few months ago with mid to long range shooting in mind. As we all know the factory stocks on these rifles are well... not good... I am in search of a new one. My budget is not huge but I am willing to spend if I have to. I have come across the Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable stock and have fell in love with it. It as make for a BDL rifle, how much trouble is it to convert the ADL to a BDL?

Looking for some thoughts on this stock and the conversion. I am fairly new to the LR Shooting seen and looking to learn a lot more.

P.S. Any one from Vermont? haha. I have been looking for a place to shoot that is over 400 yds with no luck.

Thank you,
C.A.P

Well to answer your question all you need is the bottom metal from a short action bdl or sps. But bell and carlson makes the a2 and a5 in an adl configuration as well, do some searching.

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling they must make the ADL but I wasn't able to find it anywhere. my next step was to just call them but I figured I would ask first. Maybe get other suggestions on stocks and what not. Thank you for the reply.

C.A.P.

I'm unsure of your intended purpose of the rifle but here's my .002: Go BDL, if you want to get really froggy with it, you can throw in a DBM kit from CDI or Seekins or HS Precision if you like the slimline look. If you don't intend to go that route it's still WAY easier to get the rounds out of your rifle without running them through the magazine.

My intensions are simple really. This is my first rifle with the intensions of getting upgrades and long range shooting. I bought the ADL because it had a great deal. It was the same thing as the BDL only without the hinged plate. As for the drop out. I am not certain but isn't there a lip in the adl and bdl receiver to position the rounds? This is not true for a drop out because the lip is built into the clip? So I would have to get the lip milled off by a Smith? To me the cost isn't worth the hassle, unless you bought a drop out rifle. I do like the looks of them. Also when i shoot i usually only use one round at a time... Unless I'm hunting of course.
so I guess it really comes down to cost vs. Performance. Like I have said, I am new to the long range world so I am open to any advice and opinion. Not to mention I am still fairly young and have significantly less experience than most shooters.

Thank you for your .002 cents. Haha. It is very much appreciated.

C.A.P.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.