New set up advise.

tadge

Gday All,

I'm fairly new to this long range caper, bear with me.

For the last 15 or so years I have hunted small game with a 22-.250, I have since moved to the top end of australia, unfortunatly most of the game up here is a little big for the 22.

I have joined the local big bore rifle club and would like some info on a rifle set up for F class which I would like to also use on Pigs and maybe (hopefully) Buffalo.

I am presently looking at the Remington 700P in either 7mm Rem Mag or .300 win mag. I have some other options such as the tikka T3 super varminter or T3 tactical.

Here are my problems in deciding. 1 some say the .300 is too powerful for pigs and underpowered for Buff. 2 Others say the 7mm is good on both.

I would like to take pigs at relative long range 250 - 300yds and buff out at shorter (100 - 150 yds) and also utilise the same rifle in F class out to 1000yds ( I do not want to be competitive but utilise the F class more for training).

What are your thaughts on calibre selection, seeing I have no experience in Magnums (ie recoil, long range capability). Please note I dont have access to either a 7mm or .300 to test out.

I am sure topics like these have been done to death any info is appreciated.

Cheers

Tadge

Last edited:
Tadge, I would recommend the 300 WSM. It has been doing very well in long range bench rest and F-Class competition. It will be perfect for your needs.

I would recommend one of the Savage rifles. I think they make the 300 WSM in the 12 models. Take a look at their web site.

P44

If the 300 and 7mm your refering to are the 300 Winchester and the 7mmRemington then sombody has fed you some bad info. The 300 is a good bit more powerfull than the 7mm and has a better selection of bullets suited for big game.

I assume that the buffalo your talking about are the water buffs down their and not Cape Buffalo? The 300 Winchester will kill them with good shot placement and the right bullet , is it a gun I'd reccommend , not realy , I'd say a big 338 would be a better bet with some 250+gr bullets.
As for the 300 being to big to shoot pigs , well unless theirs a problem with killing them to dead then I woulden't worry about it. I shoot alot of hogs here in the states because they are a nuicense , only about 10% of them are used for anything more than sausage so massive damage isin't a concern.

A 338 RUM or 338 Lapua would be to good choices but it might not make for a good day in an F-class shoot due to recoil unless you want to get a good suppressor.

One option would be to get a Savage chambered in the RUM like the 7mmRUM or 300RUM and shoot hogs and F-class with then buy a barrel chambered for 375 RUM to shoot buff with which would be alot better choice for those big guys and all that would be required to change would be the barrel and thats done easy enough in your garage with a $30 wrench and a vise

tadge; I like James' idea of the Savage and switching barrels. From what I've seen of the buffalo down there (movies and TV), a 7 Mag or a .30 mag would not be my choice for them. A .338 Win mag would be O.K., a .340 Wby good, .338 Rum better and a .375 H&H or .416 Rem Mag about right. Problem with the bigger calibers is their recoil and the cost of ammo. Prone shooting will get objectional quickly unless you can manage a 15 - 18 lb rifle, and I don't know if there is a weight limit on F-class, but I think that muzzle brakes may not be allowed. On the other hand, I killed a 400 lb feral boar with a heart shot from a 7-08, so I wouldn't hesitate to hunt them with a 7 Rem Mag. It is also an excellent 1000 yd target caliber, recoil is mild, and hunting ammo is not too expensive. The long range ammo will have to be handloads.

The ideal solution is 2 rifles. Barring that, I don't see one cartridge being suitable for both jobs, so a Savage switch barrel setup is an option worth looking at. Biggest drawback I see is the need to re-zero at each barrel change, or use 2 scopes and just check zero each time you switch barrels. A good long range scope is not going to be a good scope for dangerous game hunting.

Remember that these are just my opinions. I will watch this thread and look forward to seeing what ideas and solutions are offered.

Best of luck, Tom

I like James idea as well, thats what i did and i love my savage (after i put a new coyote stalker on it). I thought it would be a pain in the butt to resight it in ever time i switched, but just gives me anothr reason to shoot it. I hope your happy with whatever you get.

if you were to put a piccatinny type base on it and site both scope in for each caliber they should be very close to zero when the barrel is changed and when the new scope is touqued back to spec. within a couple inches max.

Another option would be an Encore , all that you have to do is swap barrels and the scope stays with the barrel. Not to may people think about a sincle shot when they think LR shooting but if the gun is setup right then it will shoot jjust as well as a bolt gun.
in this case you can get a smaller caliber for you varmint and F-class shooting and big one ,say a 375H&H or 458win if you like , You can get a custom barrel for about $300 each with the inital investment of say$500 for the gun.

another option would be just to use a 338RUM and when it comes time for F-class shooting you can use a suppressor since brakes generaly arn't allowed.

Thank you all for the replys,

I was after the one 'all rounder' rifle but like girls...........there is just no such thing!!

I might get a simple F class in .308 and then a general purpose hunting rifle.

I have only shot .22-250 and .308's and I am worried about recoil with the bigger magnums, from what I have read I think a 7mm Rem Mag is about as big as I want to go, so I dont begin to flinch.

There are plenty of second hand F classes around over here so that will be the go.

As for the varminter I am considering the Tikka T3 Camo Stainless or similar, once again, I am worried about recoil in 7mm with such a light rifle.

As for a .300 being too big for pigs, many around this neck of the woods believe they are too powerfull as the bullet has no time to expand and exits leaving the pig to run around wounded..........more of a moral issue than anything.

Any thaughts on my choices above?

Cheers

Tadge

contact me

hi get an f class rifle and a 375 H&H Or 375 Ultramag .use 235gr speer projectiles for everything except buffalo . Use 300gr Woodleigh bullets for Buffalo . As for F Class give me a call I have a rifle for sale that may be ideal for ypy. Fit a muzzle break to the 375. you will also come across feral pigs, goats, horses, camels and donkeys. the 235gr projectiles will work with them all. also the feral pigs have heavily encrusted mud on their bodies requiring a desent calibre to penetrate . you could also have the old 22/250 rebarreled to 358Win or the new 338 Federal . this would give you the best versitility. A 338 Federal and a 338 or 375 ultramag or similar would give you the perfect combination .

Give me a call
Bill Siegloff
or leave me a message at home
03 54470864

"As for a .300 being too big for pigs, many around this neck of the woods believe they are too powerfull as the bullet has no time to expand and exits leaving the pig to run around wounded..........more of a moral issue than anything."

A statement like this is made by someone who has no idea how bullets work. The higher the impact velocity the sooner/greater a bullet will open up, and the less penetration you will get. The individual design of the bullet is the greatest factor on how a bullet will perform. You load something like a 165 grain B-tip in the 300 I garrantee the expansion will not be a problem.

To get the performance you want, it is a matter of selecting the right bullet. The 30 calibre probably has the greatest number of choices. There will be something that will work.

I agree two diffent rifles is the best solution.

Gday Lads,

Been having a chat with some of the lads from my local big bore club, they are suggesting a .308 for pigs to a .338 WM for the buff, a .300 with a muzzle brake seems like a good all rounder by some.

I am bloody confused the .300 sounds good to me, 99.9% of the time I will be shooting pigs, so it will be good for my needs, I am sure a .300 will be fine on buff if I can get close enough and have good shot placement with the heavier pills, if not I am sure you will read about me in the paper!!!

Wild Bill, that .375 will rip my arm out of the socket!!!! but thanks for the offer anyways. By the way, how do you think a .338 WM will be with a brake?

Thanks again all for the input.

Tadge

Hi tadge the 375's with a good muzzle break have less felt recoil than a 243Win. I don't have a 375 for sale I have a F Class rifle.

Using a 308 based case and a large 338 or a 375 would make a perfect combination .

have a look at rebarreling the 22-250 to a 308 or 338/08 wich is basically the 338 federal .

As for a 375 thr H&H is very easy to use with a quality muzzle break and the 235gr for the game smaler than buffalo and 300gr's for the buffalo is good for a 1 gun hunter in the top end.

Cheers Bill

Gday Lads,

Been having a chat with some of the lads from my local big bore club, they are suggesting a .308 for pigs to a .338 WM for the buff, a .300 with a muzzle brake seems like a good all rounder by some.

I am bloody confused the .300 sounds good to me, 99.9% of the time I will be shooting pigs, so it will be good for my needs, I am sure a .300 will be fine on buff if I can get close enough and have good shot placement with the heavier pills, if not I am sure you will read about me in the paper!!!

Wild Bill, that .375 will rip my arm out of the socket!!!! but thanks for the offer anyways. By the way, how do you think a .338 WM will be with a brake?

Thanks again all for the input.

Tadge

I love my 375 H&H with the 235 TSX. Not difficult to shoot and 0.6 moa.
The 300 WM and pigs is a good combo. I shoot them with 300 RUM and they die right there - assuming good bullet placement, of course...
A 300 WM with a good muzzlebrake is a pussycat to shoot. Recoil is gentle. Even without the muzzlebreak it's not bad. Mine is a Win M70 Classic.
I've not shot the 338 WM but with a good break it'll most likely be an easy shooter.
Good luck on you choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.