New Scope

Sako 75

I am in the market for a new scope. I have a Sako 75 SS in 7mm STW that I would like to upgrade scopes on. Currently has a Leupold VX 2 3-9X40 on it. What does everyone recommend? Looking for something in the 4-16 power range.

what is your price range? i would recomend a completly diffrent scope for a f class rifle than i would a hunting rig etc.

as far as overall bang for your buck id look hard at the vortex pst 4-16. you can get it in ffp or sfp

id look at the pst 4-16 if you plan to dial range for range

id look at zeiss conquest if you plan to hold range

as far as overall bang for your buck id look hard at the vortex pst 4-16. you can get it in ffp or sfp

I second that. The Vortex PST are awesome scopes! I have 2 of them, soon to be 3!

My rifle is for hunting expecting to spend ~$750 maybe more if it can be justified........:D

Call Doug at Camera Land (he's one of this site's sponsors) and he should be able to hook you up in your price range.

Thanks for the replies guys. Shipping a scope across the border is not worth the paper work unfortuantely. I will have to buy it up here.

Definately not no to Vortex, no to Cameraland. I have purchased binocs and rangefinders from them but scopes are not worth the headache..... Nothing like a border to make certain things difficult!

What ranges will you be shooting at? For instance, here in Oregon we can be hunting in the forests (where I need light gathering and lower magnification - 3-9X50) or on open range (where I need high magnification - 6-24X56). If you can give us an idea of what you are going to be hunting we might be able to steer you better. Also, do you want illumination or not?

Being as I am new to long range hunting I want to practice enough this year to be comfortable to 600yards. I will worry about stretching out further next year and beyond.I have owned my STW for years but have never actually practiced enough to feel comfortable at long range. The range I have gone to in years past was only out to 300 yards so that Is what I practiced to the new range goes out to 1000 yards. Does that help? My STW goes moose hunting also and shots generally are less than 50 yards so with 6 power being on the low end I do not think it would be optimal which is why I have steered towards 4-16 power

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.