New Scope!

Merlin

I've finally scraped up enough $$$ to get a new scope for my 300WM. Right now I'm leaning towards a 5.5-22X NXS with a NP-R1 reticle. My question is, what do you like about these and what don't you like? I know there great scopes but there has to be something that is not up to speed. One other thing, does the power selector turn the whole eyepiece or is it just the ring that turns??? If your not a fan of nightforce would like to hear what other suggestions you have. Any input would be appreciated.

The whole eyepiece turns.
Kind of a bummer with flip up caps. But, the scopes are great for the money. I have a few of the 5.5-22x56's, a couple of the 8-32x56's. I have never personally had a problem with them and I use them often on 50 cals also.

The reticle has very fine lines and that is good for long range work when there is adequate light, but as you know, we get a lot of overcast days in late November early December and then the reticle can be very difficult to see the last few minutes of such a day. You might consider getting an illuminated reticle.

Amen on the very fine reticle lines

The reticle has very fine lines and that is good for long range work when there is adequate light, but as you know, we get a lot of overcast days in late November early December and then the reticle can be very difficult to see the last few minutes of such a day. You might consider getting an illuminated reticle.

Even shot opportunities that are on bright sunlit days can be problematic . If your shot has a lot of background clutter and shadows in it the intersection of the crosshairs can get lost . So I'm ditto on the illuminated reticle ........but, on the other hand , I didn't know they came any other way !!

All in all Nightforce scopes are good scopes but if I could change one thing it would be the illumination features. First off the intensity adjustment is in the parallax adjustment turret and you have to remove the cap to get access to the VERY small adjustment screw. It takes a small screw driver like the ones you use to work on eye glasses with. There is no quick intensity adjustment, especially in the field. Also with the illumination controls mounted in the parallax turret it makes it taller than the rest of the turrets and it seems to hang on everything. Nightforce scopes are also very heavy, but if it takes heavy to be dependable then I'll put up with the extra weight.

David

Thanks for the info. I was hoping the whole eyepiece didn't turn, but Hey if that's the only thing I don't like then that ain't bad. I will post pics when I get the scope and my sendero back from the smith. (And when I learn how to post pics Haha!) Any places you guys have gotten decent prices on a NXS????

I wish they had the alumina type flip opens like leupolds. I personally don't like how thin the reticule is it's very hard to see for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.