New scope.

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by lefty15, Oct 16, 2007.

1. lefty15

lefty15 Well-Known Member

I am in the market for a new scope, and I would like some of your opinions. I have asked this question before, but everytime I think I have made my decision I hear of other optics that may be better in that price range. Here is what I am looking at for options.
    The primary use for the scope will be hunting up to 500 yard shots, and shooting at the range.

Nikon Monarch x-- 4 x 16 x 50mm Nikoplex or Milldot 30mm tube
    Leupold VXlll-- 4.5 x 14 x 50mm Duplex 1 inch
    IOR-- 4 x 14 x 50mm 4A 30mm tube
    Zeiss Conquest--4.5 x 14 x 50mm 1" tube
    Bushnell Elite 4200-- 4 x 16 x 50mm 1" tube (very unsure of this one)

Any advise or help would be great.

2. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

I've got the Zeiss 4.5-14 on my Wby 30-378. Compare this model before buying any others. It has better glass than my Swaro and it's half the price. You won't be disappointed.:D

3. TAC

TAC Well-Known Member

lefty15,

You can never go wrong with the best optics. However, the scopes you've chosen are all 30mm tubes (the exception being the Elite). The big advantage to 30mm tubes is the travel to reach out well beyond 500 yards. All I need is 8.3 MOA to reach out to 500 yds and 20 to get to 800 and most any 1" tubes can do that with or without a MOA base. What are you shooting?

If you want to best regardless of cost then any of the scopes you've listed should serve your needs - and then some; personal preference and options will determine which one you buy.

Personally, I chose the Elite 4-16 for its resolution, brightness, and the "Rainguard coating" for here in the Northwest. It's a good scope, but it is missing some of the features the others come with... side focus, reticle choice, and lit reticle to name a few, but none the less, it is a solid buy at roughly half the cost of some of the others. It won't disappoint you in the field.

Have fun and take you time deciding.

TAC

4. lefty15

I shoot a .300win mag in Tikka Heavy barrel varmit stainless.
    The terrian that I hunt varies from wide open flat land to forest. Shots can run between 25-600yards and farther.

5. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

If it were me, and i was shooting animals from vmnts. to game at ranges to 600 yds. i really like the idea of a mil-dot reticle, IF IT'S IN THE RANGE OF MAGNIFICATION SUCH AS THE 4-16x MONARCH 2ND FOCAL PLANE RETICLE. Here's why i say that--

When u change the power of that scope to 16 the subtensions (measurements) of that reticle decrease in size to 2.7 inch per hundred yds. (IPHY) for the "milliradian" (dot to dot gap), and the dot subtension itself goes from very close to 3/4 (IPHY) to .5 IPHY. This allows for a somewhat better application as a ballistic reticle, and should serve u well in that regard.

6. nksmfamjp

nksmfamjp Well-Known Member

You should add the Burris XTR 3 - 12 x 50 to your list. I am VERY happy with mine. It tracks well. Clicks are positive. The only complaint with mine is that it is not FFP.

7. grit

grit Well-Known Member

I own Monarchs, vx3, Zies Conquest. Leupy and Zies have better glass, but Monarchs have good glass, nice reliable features, and cost a lot less. I am happy with all of them.

I must note none of my scopes are 30mm, or tactical. Don't see a need. 1 inch tube and 40 inches will get you further than you can hit anything.

8. blygy

blygy Well-Known Member

I own a 4-16X50 4200 and the clicks are not repeatable.. it will dial in once but return to zero is non existant....Looking else where for my next scope...

9. shootinfool

shootinfool Well-Known Member

leupold all the way. I don't shoot anything but leupold and have had no problems and there is a 100% replacement no questions asked lifetime guarentee. I love all the scopes that I own. Depending on what i'm doing I tend to like the 4-14 the best. I like to go bigger if I am shooting varmints at longer ranges but the 4-14 does everything for big game, in my opinion.

10. nksmfamjp

Burris XTR 3 - 12 x 50

I should have added more details. . .

Lenses - Very clear and bright. In side by side evaluations in between Leupold, Burris, and Sightron S3, the Burris was easily the truest color, brightest and clearest. I can see bullet holes clearly at 100 yards.(308)

Turrets - Very strong looking. I've never tried to break them. Easy to turn. Maybe too easy. If you move them 1 MOA, they move 1 MOA. All shots were within .75" of expected location. Rifle shoots .5 - .75" groups at 100 yards. Shot several box tests. All returned to 0. Turrets are 1/4", I think, but I treat like 1/4 MOA and that seems ok. Also, one can get a turret on the windage which shows L and R movement. That is nice to be able to easily put in 1.5MOA L or R. The elevation turret can be 0 - 16MOA. This is the way mine is set up. They sent me a whole windage turret because I had a stripped set screw from Burris.

Power Selector - Kind of a PITA with scope caps because the scope caps hook to the focus adjustor and the whole ocular lens tube turns, so until this process is refined, it is possible to un focus the scope or have the lens cover interfer with the action. For me there was a magic spot for the scope caps to be put on so it wouldn't interfer. Then I just had to teach myself to grab the scope and not the cap!

Reticle - Should be FFP, but it is not. Still, SFP has advantages, like being able to range at 1/2 power. Mil dots are calibrated to a dot on the power selector.

Weight - It is heavy, but all big scopes are. Light scopes just don't have the turrets or glass. I guess it is supposed to be a little thicker tube also.

Warranty - Well, they fixed it all up. I bought this sight unseen. It had a buggered paralax adjustment. They fixed and paid shipping. Then it had some junk in the tube. They paid and fixed. Then the allen screw turret deal. They sent me the part since it was basic user functionality. Actually, if I remember they sent me two complete turrets. Way overboard! So. . .should I have had 3 repairs. . .No. . .but they fixed with no issues. I am picky also!! I consider it perfect for my hunting rifle now.

Turret caps - It has these, but I don't let them leave the truck. I didn't check my elevation turret before I shot at 200 yards. It was supposed to be on 2.25 MOA. It somehow moved to 6. Not sure why, but I wasn't happy. I hit the Antelope. I blame the scope for being too easy to turn and more myself for not checking. Should be part of my shooting process. I just got buck fever!! I could use the caps too.

Finish - Nice matte green. Looks good with my green/SS/Laminate rig.

11. lefty15

I have heard that if you go past 14power then you have to be very aware of the parallax adjustment.
    So should I stay away from a scope that has a parallax adjustment?
    On my .300 right now I have a 3 x 9 x 50mm Leupold VXll, and I really like it, nd it does not have a parallax adjustment on this scope.

12. nksmfamjp

Higher power shooting at closer ranges means parallax is more likely to give you trouble. You can just set it to 150 yards and forget it. That is what most non-adjustable scopes are set at. The best way is to adjust just before you shoot. For hunting, I carry with parallax setup for 200. and elevation set for 250yds. If I need to shoot further, I expect to have enough time to setup the shot.