new scope to buy

toddconley

I am in the market for two new scopes. Both will be a of the long range variety. I have never owned a scope of this type before and I am not sure what I want. I am in the $500 range. This eliminates nf s&b IOR or any of that type of super high end stuff. Can't afford it and don't need it either. If my life depended on it I would certainly have one but for a hobby I just can't have one. So...VXIII, B&L 4200 maybe burris? Everyone uses the VXIII and seems to like it. Probably more of these on this site than anything else. I guess if I have to I will get a VXIII 6.5-20 with a 1 in tube. I have some B&L scopes on some other mid range rifles and like them well for price. Does the 8-32 4200 have target turretts? Can you get them? I have some burris scopes but, no one here seems to like them for doping yardage up and down. These are my observations. What are yor recomendations? These will be going on a 300 weatherby that I built and a 7mm-300 weatherby that I bought from this site. Both heavy gun class rifles 15-20 lb range. Both very capable shooters. Also as a side note I wonder if I should consider super sniper. Not varible but good I hear. Do I need varible on this type of rifle?

I am also looking for a new scope for my Savage 12 VLP in 204. I have about $1200 budgeted but being in Alberta Canada, prices are ridiculously high. I did look at a Leupold VX-L 6.5-20 x 56mm long range extreme varmint with a varmint hunters reticle. Local retailer out here sells it for $1200. I normally stay away from the big 50mm tubes, but the design of the VX-L kind of intrigues me. Does anyone have any feedback with this new VX-L design. I may end up just going with the VX-III 6.5-20 x 40mm

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the market for two new scopes. Both will be a of the long range variety. I have never owned a scope of this type before and I am not sure what I want. I am in the $500 range. This eliminates nf s&b IOR or any of that type of super high end stuff. Can't afford it and don't need it either. If my life depended on it I would certainly have one but for a hobby I just can't have one. So...VXIII, B&L 4200 maybe burris? Everyone uses the VXIII and seems to like it. Probably more of these on this site than anything else. I guess if I have to I will get a VXIII 6.5-20 with a 1 in tube. I have some B&L scopes on some other mid range rifles and like them well for price. Does the 8-32 4200 have target turretts? Can you get them? I have some burris scopes but, no one here seems to like them for doping yardage up and down. These are my observations. What are yor recomendations? These will be going on a 300 weatherby that I built and a 7mm-300 weatherby that I bought from this site. Both heavy gun class rifles 15-20 lb range. Both very capable shooters. Also as a side note I wonder if I should consider super sniper. Not varible but good I hear. Do I need varible on this type of rifle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

Check this link...
http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-sniper-rifle-scopes.aspx

BEST PRICE, LOTS OF MOA ADJUSTMENT - 109MOA ELEVATION,
If you can deal with fixed power 10x, 16, 20x this is the best.

I tried myself to buy one, but because I leave in Canada, I don't have the right to get one... The new regulation.
I read alot about this scopes, on Snipershide, or on longrangehunting, and they have good reviews on Supersnipers scope.
The price $299.00 for Supersniper scope

My self I bot a Sightron 6-20x50 MilDot, with SideFocus and 1 inch tube, and I'm happy with this one. The only negative part is I have just 50MOA adjustment for elevation.
I install the Sightron SII on my 300Rem Ultra Magnum, with lots of recoil, and far now everything is ok.
I bot another one for my friend on his 7 mm Rem Magnum, and his happy with Sightron too.

http://sightron.com/index.php?action=view_category&cat_id=1108936496
From $299 - $800

Cris

If you can afford the V3 in Long Range (30mm tube) you will be ahead of the game. If you cannot afford that, then get a 20 MOA rail and Burris signature rings with the inserts. This will help you to make the most out of the limited vertical adjustment of the 1 inch tube.

i HAVE HAD VERY GOOD LUCK WITH SIGHTRON ON A 6-284 GREAT SCOPE FOR THE MONEY. i ALSO HAVE A LEUPOLD VX-L 3.5x10x50 on my 7mm mashburn that works great, the best price I found for the leupold was www.oneclickshooting.com

I second buffalobob's thoughts. If it were me, I would hold out for a LR model VX-III, which gets you a 30mm tube (extra ele. adjustment) and a side focus, and I wouldn't be afraid to go used. Would give strong consideration to the Burris Signature insert rings as well, love the ones I have (Unless your going with a serious tactical type setup, ala Badger, Seekins, etc).

I think you will find the high power Burris aren't popular due to their small amount of vertical adjustment. Their Black Diamond 8-32 has 39 moa total, or ~20 up with a neutral ring/base combo. Just checked my VX-III LR, and I have 68 moa up from a dead on 100 yard zero (I do have 20 moa offset rings). The new tactical's are indeed better in this respect, but I havn't heard of anyone using them. I personally like my custom shop/customer service options with Leupold too much to leave them on a whim, though I may get a 10x Super Sniper for a .308 someday, just to try it out. Good luck.

For under $500, you cant beat Leupolds VX2, 6-18x40 AO, Target knobs, Fine duplex. It has good power selection (6-18), good glass, AO, and enough adjustment to get you to 1000 yards w/out a special base. YOu can get them for around $450 most the time. I have 2 of them and they are great scopes. I had it on my 300 RUM at one point in time and used it out to 1150 yards with no complaints. IMO, you cant get much better for a LR scope with that power selection at that price. Leupolds customer service is excellent, so is the resale value. The VX3 are 2x as much. I have the 6.5-20x50 LR, 30mm, SF. Yes the glass is a lot better side by side, but I dont know if it justifys the price difference. You can buy 2 of the 6-18's for the price of 1 6.5-20. I"ve used both to 1000 yards and either work fine. Just food for thought.

I have some moa built into my base. Quite a lot actually. I am way down on the adjustment range of the cheap scope I have now. But just doing the calculation on my handy little online calculator I find I might need 22 ish moa to get to 1000 with my 300. Not sure about the 7mm. So this would eliminate the burris in this case. I wonder about the burris tacticle?

Called burris about the Full Field Tact. 15 inches of up and down. That will not help me. I guess I am VXIII or Sightron or maybe a super sniper?

25_06,

Forgot about the VX-II's. I would definately like to try one out sometime, maybe if I get a dedicated p-dog rifle someday. Got my 6.5-20 LR for $510 (new), so thats what I think in terms of (considered the VX-II, but figured $60 was worth it). If you find one for that today, buy it, as its a steal (out of curiosity, I wonder what Bill is selling them for).

All told, I wouldn't shy away from a VX-II, but I would want it with offset rings or an offset base, as I have had a few guns which had some negative offset build into their bridge height, causing me to run out of ele. quite quick. Good luck.

If you do decide to go with the VX-III and you want a really cool reticle (don't want to dial) Look at Holland's ART. I have one and am saving pennies (dollars) for a second one.
Of course I use mine on my specialty pistol (8.5-25).
Hollands Guns and then click on ART.
The reticle is not cheap, but I really like it.

Any idea what that reticle costs? Scope + reticle? Can I get in my buget? Looks cool.. Coolness factor counts for lots. Ha!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.