new scope choices

Savagebien

after shooting 300 and 400 meters the first time with my plain 3-9 scope and wanting to be able to shoot 500 meters more easily i think i will need to invest in a new scope. a friend of mine has a BSA 4-16 with mil dot reticle sells for about a hundred. he has had pretty good luck, has good reviews on cabelas site, what do u guys think about them? i was also looking at nikon monarchs and bushnell some i will probly be willing to spend up to 300 and want a 4-14.5 or 4-16 with mil dot. thanks for any suggestions!

I would strongly recomend against using a BSA on any centerfire rifle. A good quality variable power in your price range is a tall order (I'd add a 30mm tube and target turrets to my list of needs). I'm sure if you tried a search you may dig up a few options. If you're not doing competition I'd say a good quality scope in 10X should serve you very well to beyond 400 meters, I can see chicken eggs in my 10x at 740yds. It's a bit easier to line the crosshairs on an egg with 16x and I've got a scope with up to 24x on the way. At the local 300yrd bench rest competiton my 16x is by far the lowest magnification, most guys are using 35x and better. It really depends on your specific application, for long range steel plates and hunting, you don't really need a ton of magnification. Just my .02.

I would also take a look at our Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40. The optics are comparable to the Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite 4200 and Weaver Grand Slam. They are actually manufactured in the same factory as the Elite 4200 and Grand Slam. You can see more about them at The Optic Zone - Night Owl Binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.