New Savage Tube

Discussion in 'Specialty Handgun Hunting' started by Cruizin, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Cruizin

Cruizin Well-Known Member

So I want to build a savage rifle but with a short tube. I'm thinking under or around 20 inches and want to launch something big and heavy. I have a savage long action. What is the 338/300 wsm you guys are making in a pistol? Are you guys shooting the 338 300grn smk? Do you think it would feed from a magazine? And finally what kind of velocity would you expect from a 20" tube.

Any other chambering suggestions....

Looking for a long range elk and black bear gun that can be packed around the mountains.

2. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

My dad has one with a 17" barrel and the 250gr bullets really move that pistol around. He uses a JP brake. I know the 180s are moving pretty good. I think youd be better off with something under 250gr, I know the 225 accubond is pretty good. It's a mean looking little cartridge! He goes by Yotefever but I know Dougm has one too... I think the 180-225gr bullet would be very nice for Elk and Black Bear.

3. 7STDUBBERU

7STDUBBERU Well-Known Member

I have Greg Tannel building me a center grip XP 100 that is going to be chambered in 338x300. I am having set up to shoot the 225 AccuBonds. I think these are going to be just the ticket for elk and mulies.

4. Cruizin

Yeah I was thinking of doing a riffle on the pdog special stock from Stockade and putting a long action with a mag and a 20" barrel to help with the recoil.

Stocks

Might do one of kirby's 7mm speed demons. They might be just the ticket.

5. Cruizin

So what kind of velocities are you guys getting with a 225 grn bullet?

6. Cruizin

What do you think about a 180 grn 7mm berger in a necked down 300 Dakota case? Anybody ever tried that?

7. 7STDUBBERU

7STDUBBERU Well-Known Member

Yotefever shoots a 7 Sundance that he developed. I do not remeber the parent case, but he does very well with it.

8. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

the Sundance is based off of the 376 steyer. my 7wsm has about 150 fps on it though... the 7 wsm brass is a lot cheaper and easyer to find than dakota brass! I like mine and am going to be playing with some 180 bergers and 176 cauterucio's.