New Savage 6.5-284

Boom

Trying to help my Dad set up a rifle he just traded for. I have and shoot numerous Savage rifles but have no experience with this one. It is a Savage Model 116 that appears to have come from Cabelas. Looks a lot like a Weather Warrior except it has a heavy, fluted barrell. Hinged floor plate. Accu-trigger. Very smooth action for what its worth! I think from looking around its a Long Range Hunter but have never seen one and just wanted to check.

My main question is that it came with bases already attached. Are these worth keeping? Should I replace them for him? Are they Weaver or Picatinny? I have single piece EGW bases on my other Savages and I am going to try and set this rifle up so he can shoot out to 500 (maybe more
wink.gif
. Have a Sightron III 6.5-24x50 to put on it for him. So new base and rings or just new rings?

Any other experiences you can share would be great, thanks in adavance for any help!

It sounds to me like he got extremely lucky and got his hands on the limited run model 112 bvss in 6.5x284, they didn't make o whole lot of them, basically a long action version of the model 12 varmint series, nice rifle. You should sell it to me !!! No to answer your question a lot of savages come from the factory with 2 piece bases installed they are weaver #93s I think, I know they are weaver just not 100% on the #, but they will accept any weaver style rings, I would keep them and use weaver or warne tactical rings and with that scope there should be enough adjustment to get to a 1000yrds.

Great info on the bases, thanks. I double checked the model and its says Savage 116 not 111 or 112, which is what made me think of the Weather Warrior Model 16 series. Either way, thanks for the feedback!

No problem, look on savages website if your still curious of the model, if it says 116 my money goes on it being a 22" barreled model 116 light weight hunter.

I'm sure the bases that came with it will work just fine.

Nonetheless, I like picatinny rails on all of my rifles. It makes it a lot easier to swap scopes around. The extra 20MOA will also give you more windage if you ever need it at 1k.

-- richard

Boom, I own the same rifle - and it did come from Cabelas. It's got the heavy fluted stainless barrel and black synthetic stock. It's a model 116 weather warrior. I put a Viper Vortex on the bases it came with and I get a half inch group at 200 yds. Great rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.