New rifle?

Liquid

I've finally decided to take the plunge and get a long range rifle. I've been to a few gun shows and tried out a few rifles but im still not sure which route to go. Im looking for a long range rifle that i can get for under 500. Bolt action, and if possible a supressed barrel. Anyone have any ideas of a rifle for an experienced shooter?

Liquid,

For starters, welcome to the board!

Second, I hate to be the one to tell you but if your looking for a factory rifle for long range shooting for under $500, you may have quite a challange on your hands satisfying your goals.

You can certainly pick up one of the Savage rifles with a heavier barrel and stock to allow stable shooting at longer ranges and these will run right at your $500 range or just a tick less or more depending on your model selected.

These rifles are generally very good shooting rifles for the money you pay for them.

To get a rifle with a brake, you are basically looking at an aftermarket option on nearly all the factory rifles on the market today, unless you order through one of the factory custom shops and that will double or triple the cost compared to your $500 limit.

You would be far better off getting the rifle and then having a quality smith install an aftermarket brake on the muzzle.

This will vary in price, I charge $165 for installing most brakes, some smiths charge a little more, some a little less but that is a general price for the typical brake installation.

I personally feel that you may be better served with a little more money spent on your rifle. If you could save up around $800 to $900 for this rifle you would be have many more options available to you.

Hopw this helps some!

Kirby Allen(50)

The Savages are good rifles and if you check around you might even find a 300 win mag.

The 308 can reach out there so don't be afraid to try it.

The mod 116 SAK in 300 RUM has a muzzle brake and is pillar bedded from factory and now with good trigger.I have one that will shoot sub min and a friend has one that will shoot equally good. A quick entry into long range shooting at a low price! mine was $429. wholesale.

Thanks for the respond, i was actually looking into getting a savage 10fp le2. I've seen those go for 470-500. Have you ever experienced that rifle? One of my buddies was telling me that the 308 wasnt the best for long range shooting though. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.