New rifle

My vote goes to the Savage 111lrh/110predator hunter in 6.5x284, it has virtually no more recoil than heavy loads in a 243 and hits significantly harder than the 260rem or 6.5x55. With the right bullet/velocity/accuracy combo it will hit consistently with a 1000 ftlbs + energy remaining at a 1000 yrds.

My vote goes to the Savage 111lrh/110predator hunter in 6.5x284, it has virtually no more recoil than heavy loads in a 243 and hits significantly harder than the 260rem or 6.5x55. With the right bullet/velocity/accuracy combo it will hit consistently with a 1000 ftlbs + energy remaining at a 1000 yrds.
Actually it's almost twice the recoil.

It lies right around the same as the 280.

Rifle Recoil Table

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

It's running about 10% more powder for the same weight bullet; as compared to the .280 Rem.

Great round, but if he's having recoil issues due to the neck/shoulder injuries it might be too much. My dad has the same problem (Vet too).

He finally had to move down from the 7mm mag he'd been shooting for the last thirty years to the .260 or quit hunting. Heck I had to give him a nice 28g to bird hunt with too because he couldn't take the 12g recoil any more.

Last edited:
Wildrose I ain't bashing you but I have 2 6.5x284s, 2 243s, and I load 260 for one buddy and a 280 for another. Now first I will say that one 6.5 is a 15lbs bench gun and the other falls just under 10lbs but it is a carry rifle, one of my 243s is around 10lbs the other about 8.5, the 260 is a tad over 7 and the 280 is about 8.5 and to start off the 150 NBT over imr4831 in the 280 is the least friendly by far, 140grn partition over H4831 in the 260 is almost the same as 139 lapua and imr4350 in my lighter 6.5 and just a little more than a 107 SMK in my light 243 over H4350. My 15 bench gun does not have a break and I barely hold on to it in matches and practice and it feels like a 22-250 so weight and load have a lot more effect than the caliber itself plus the 111 lrh I reccomended has a break.

I recently got a Savage LRH in 6.5x284. With the muzzle brake on,recoil feels like a 243 and it's very accurate. You would likely have to reload due to limited availability of factory ammo. Considering all your requirements, another good option might be the 270WSM. Recoils not bad, very accurate, good bullet selection, and you can load it with enough punch to work well on big animals at the longer ranges.

Considering all your requirements, another good option might be the 270WSM.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Running Hornady 150 SST, or Berger 150 at the velocities a 270wsm can push them make it a viable 1000yd rifle. Of course shot placement is key, but the caliber is proving very capable. It puts you between the 270 Win. and the 270 Weatherby Mag. Matrix bullets make some exceptionally high BC hunting VLD style bullets. They are 165 and 175 grain bullets. Use a Savage target action in a Stockade stock with a Sin-arms barrel at 28"... you'll have a real shooter. The reason I suggest Sin-arms is due to the fact he uses Lothar Walther barrels and can get them to you in a shorter time frame. They use a harder stainless steel than any state side manufacturer. I have one in 308 and it shoots very well. It took about 8 weeks to get my barrel ordering through Lothar Walther out of Georgia. With hand loads I produce .25 to .5 MOA all day long. There are other barrel makers state side that make good barrels too. I would suggest Hart, Kreiger, Brux, McGowen, and Lilja.

Savages are easy to work on if you want to build one on your own. You can put it together in your own home and have a world class shooter. The right tools are obviously required, but really aren't that expensive when you don't have to purchase a lathe to put it together. You need a barrel nut wrench, action wrench or barrel vise. I suggest the action wrench. The muscle break is also a very good option.

Tank

Wildrose I ain't bashing you but I have 2 6.5x284s, 2 243s, and I load 260 for one buddy and a 280 for another. Now first I will say that one 6.5 is a 15lbs bench gun and the other falls just under 10lbs but it is a carry rifle, one of my 243s is around 10lbs the other about 8.5, the 260 is a tad over 7 and the 280 is about 8.5 and to start off the 150 NBT over imr4831 in the 280 is the least friendly by far, 140grn partition over H4831 in the 260 is almost the same as 139 lapua and imr4350 in my lighter 6.5 and just a little more than a 107 SMK in my light 243 over H4350. My 15 bench gun does not have a break and I barely hold on to it in matches and practice and it feels like a 22-250 so weight and load have a lot more effect than the caliber itself plus the 111 lrh I reccomended has a break.
Hey what I posted was simple fact so it's not about bashing.

Yes the 10-15lbs rifles are going to reduce the felt recoil considerably vs a 6-8lbs sporter. That's why the bench rest guys like heavy rifles.

I'm trying to help fit the man based on his needs/requirements/desires, not promote "my caliber".

It's all about helping people out for me, not trying to win a popularity contest.

I ceased feeling the need to compete or "prove" anything years ago.

Just trying to help the guy out.

Bigger isn't always better, neither is faster or more powerful. It's all about the right fit for the individual and situation.

Last edited:
OK Enough said. Thread kind of spun out of control at the end. Was looking for budget minded advise, and at the end got replies with load data and stuff that is not even relivant at this point. Chill out. Think I'm going to build a 308 from a Savage 11. For those of you with rellivant input, thanks. For those of you ranting, wasn't much good for anything.

Well here's some advice then, you can't have your cake and eat it to, don't be an *** when people are explaimoing things when your asking for something that's not very realistic. Good luck since we give "useless" info. EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Enough said. Thread kind of spun out of control at the end. Was looking for budget minded advise, and at the end got replies with load data and stuff that is not even relivant at this point. Chill out. Think I'm going to build a 308 from a Savage 11. For those of you with rellivant input, thanks. For those of you ranting, wasn't much good for anything.
If that's the route you are thinking, then think hard about the .260.

It's a 6.5 on a 308 case and has much, much better long range ballistics and a milder recoil.

If you decide to go the AR route, i have a 260 i'm getting ready to sell. I reason for selling is i just can't catch the AR bug. Rifle has a 7.5 twist 24" free floated barrel.

Something to consider regarding recoil are the Managed Recoil offerings from Remington. I was a sceptic at first. Then I tried some in the 300 RUM. They are a huge reduction in recoil and very accurate. I was quite impressed. They do however come with a drop in performance compared to standard offerings. If 1,000 yd shots are going to be the norm for you,a quality brake might make good sense. This will allow you to make good use of one of the higher intensity chamberings,while keeping recoil manageable.

If you're going to use managed recoil loads, you'd be better off with a rifle chambered in something smaller, that will fit the performance. Philosophy: Don't buy a 300RUM and load it to 308win levels; Buy a 308win!

+1 on the brake. They can let you go bigger, without the ouch.

OK Enough said. Thread kind of spun out of control at the end. Was looking for budget minded advise, and at the end got replies with load data and stuff that is not even relevant at this point. Chill out. Think I'm going to build a 308 from a Savage 11. For those of you with relevant input, thanks. For those of you ranting, wasn't much good for anything.

I don't think the 308 is ever a bad choice, as long as you are up for the added recoil...

For a real bargain basement price yet with excellent quality, the Stevens 200 is available in 308. It could benefit from an upgraded stock, but it is light and accurate just the way it comes from the factory. The Stevens is a great action to build on, but it already comes in 308 caliber and doesn't need anything done to it, as it's likely to be a great shooter right out-of-the-box.

The Stevens line is identical to the Savage line-up pre-accutrigger...same action and barrel; the parts interchange, and the same quality of manufacture. I've seen them go out the door brand new for less than $300...half of what a Model 11 costs, and the M11 could still use a better stock.

I personally prefer the Stevens over the Axis, so for about $260 you can either fill-up your gas tank or buy a new rifle!

TC

Last edited:
If you're going to use managed recoil loads, you'd be better off with a rifle chambered in something smaller, that will fit the performance. Philosophy: Don't buy a 300RUM and load it to 308win levels; Buy a 308win!

+1 on the brake. They can let you go bigger, without the ouch.

I agree. But, I can enjoy my 300RUM on the occasional eastern whitetail hunt, and still have one of the finest .30 caliber rifles at my disposal. Sort of a" cake and eat it too" philosophy. Really no more ridiculous than a switch barrel T.C. Acurate,manageable lower level ammo for little critters. My handloads for everything else. Real world 1,000yd performance and flexible as the good old 30/06. Just trying to give the orriginal poster the option of tapping into that longrange potential when needed,and scaled down performance when it isn't. Philosophicaly speaking.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.