New Rifle by Remington

Looks like a cheap version of a Savage, has a trigger like the accutrigger and a barrel nut. Limited offerings. I would get a 700 new or used especially if you want to make it a custom of any sorts.

Looks like a cheap version of a Savage, has a trigger like the accutrigger and a barrel nut. Limited offerings. I would get a 700 new or used especially if you want to make it a custom of any sorts.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thats kinda what I figured . Anything they have made other than the 600 or 700 line is crap . A friend of mine is giving me a 700 in 25-06 , I believe I will have it customized and not worry about a new gun !gun)

I wouldnt even rate it that high! Its crap...period

I had the same thought when I played with one at the SHOT Show.

I'd rather buy a Ruger American or even Savage Axis as the 783's stock felt cheaper than I could imagine, and the action was not smooth at all. "Throwaway rifle" is the term that came to mind.

Thats kinda what I figured . Anything they have made other than the 600 or 700 line is crap . A friend of mine is giving me a 700 in 25-06 , I believe I will have it customized and not worry about a new gun !gun)

Man, I wish one of my buddies would give me a 700. LOL

Take that .25-06 and have your smith ream the chamber to .25-06 Ackley Improved 40* Shoulder. Increases velocity a pretty good bit, and to fire-form your brass you can shoot regular .25-06 ammo in it. Then when you reload those already nicely fire-formed brass in your .25-06 A.I. dies. Simple as that.

I'd rather buy a Ruger American or even Savage Axis as the 783's stock felt cheaper than I could imagine, and the action was not smooth at all. "Throwaway rifle" is the term that came to mind.[/QUOTE]

It's the Hi-Point of the rifle world... LOL That's all those are good for.

Marlin is part of the "Freedom Group" along with Remington, the Marlin X7 is a good rifle (IMHO) at it's price point, however as a Marlin it has to be discounted to sell. Making it over into a Remington may help it sell at full price. Makes good money sense.
Keeping the receiver full round and using Remington type scope mount Vs Marlins M70 mounts, along with the removable mag is a plus (way better than the Savage Edge/Axis plastic unit). Do not like the other changes though. The stock may be stronger, but I've always liked the Marlins stock looks wise, and they always seemed to shoulder and shoot well also. More of a Walnut man though.
I have a few Remingtons that I am fond of, but just could never warm up to a Ruger rifle wise.

So Count me in on Savages; Stevens 200 and up, Marlin X7's (Maybe Rem 783's if X7's go bye bye)
and a pass on Ruger America' and Savage Edge/Axis

I'd rather buy a Ruger American or even Savage Axis as the 783's stock felt cheaper than I could imagine, and the action was not smooth at all. "Throwaway rifle" is the term that came to mind.[/QUOTE]

It's the Hi-Point of the rifle world... LOL That's all those are good for.

yes buy it and throw it away. Why do they make guns like this????

like most "new" things, all the "experts" slam 'em. BUT they don't own one, haven't actually SHOT one, never SEEN one, etc. I'll reserve judgement until I can say thru personal experience if good/bad/indifferent. personally, I like the bbl. nut idea, have built many rifles using that system on Rem. 700's and quality bbl's. and they are amazing shooters. Just waiting to see if the new action is stiff enuf to be useful.

like most "new" things, all the "experts" slam 'em. BUT they don't own one, haven't actually SHOT one, never SEEN one, etc. I'll reserve judgement until I can say thru personal experience if good/bad/indifferent. personally, I like the bbl. nut idea, have built many rifles using that system on Rem. 700's and quality bbl's. and they are amazing shooters. Just waiting to see if the new action is stiff enuf to be useful.
I've shot enough 710's and 770's that won't shoot a 5" group @ 100 yards, that I think my judgment is safe for the 783....It's not THAT much different.

I won't say they're junk until I've shot one, but they are nothing more than a newer model 770, which is nothing more than a newer model 710...

And I am by no means an expert...Atleast, I don't consider myself to be one.

but the tang is part of the receiver, not an add on, no poly insert, full dia. (larger than 700)
receiver, and sako style extractor, several other differences from 770. I will look closely when they become available

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.