new rifle build ?

horse killer

I am thinking of having a new rifle built. I have a new 28 nosler and love it but was thinking with the grand kids getting close to being able to start hunting with me that a new rifle is in order. What I was looking for was a caliber that has a long barrel life minimum recoil ( will have a muzzle brake installed) mostly used for deer but could be used for elk at a sensible range. Any suggestions and who to have it built by would be great

6.5 Creedmoor will be hard to beat. Another great choice would be a 243 win, but IMO Elk sized game is out of the question with this little one.

I belive the WSM is not the best choice for a child. I have a 270 WSM finnlight and kicks like a mule. After 5 shots you don´t want anything to do with it.

+1 for .280 It can be loaded with lighter bullets for practice and smaller animals and you have the option of heavier bullets for elk later on. Plus there is some cross over with your 28 Nosler as far as bullets and some tools. The .280 is overlooked by many, but is one of the best all around rifles ever. I hope to receive my new build shortly. Those grandkids will appreciate your planning ahead.

6.5X47 with 130 Bergers. I don't personally have one, but it is next on the list. Do a little research on it. Pushes a 130 just under 3000 fps with around 42 gr of powder. Could load it up with a 140 for elk. I do think it is a bit small for elk though. But elk at under 300 yds could work.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.