New Rifle Barrel

bjohnson_7

Who makes the best rifle barrel in MTU contour and 5R rifling? I was planning on getting a Kreiger but I don't know yet. Just wanted some opinions.

Hard to say who make the best 5r barrel. On some of my hunting rifles used a Broughton 5c another Bartlein 5r and waiting on a Krieger 5r to be chamber. My gusnmith wait almost 1yr on a Rock 5r and I think Bartlein is out about 1yr the Kreiger was appr 5mos.

I just ordered a Mike Rock 5R barrel, my 3rd and was told 8 weeks. They are all good and don't hesitate to go with a Shilen ratchet rifled which is similar and are excellent.

I wouldn't hesitate to get a Rock Creek in most any caliber. Their delivery is between 8-12 wks depending on what they are running at the time, the 1yr quote is for an Obermeyer. The 5R rifling cleans well and requires almost no breakin, plus they are great people to work with.

+1 on Rock Creek and +1 on Bartlein. Broughton has an extrememly good track record as well. Really hard to say who makes the best, but you can't go wrong with either of the above.

A friend has this ratcheting Shilen on his 6.5x284 and it shoots 5 in .111 at 100. I feel it's quality.

I didn't say the made a bad barrel what I said was they are limited in bullet weight. Shilen only make a 1/13 twist 30 cal barrel and they make 8 and 14 twist 22RF,22cal and 6mm last is the 6.5 8 twist and that it.

I changed direction on a 7mm I was having build sold a Bartlein 5r 10 twist barrel here. I decided to use 1/9 twist for the 280AI and 284. Kreiger offers 7 different twist for his 30 cal barrels and 3 for 6.5 cal.

I was on another site subject came up about wait time on barrels seem they say Rock takes 8wks.

I didn't say the made a bad barrel what I said was they are limited in bullet weight. Shilen only make a 1/13 twist 30 cal barrel and they make 8 and 14 twist 22RF,22cal and 6mm last is the 6.5 8 twist and that it.

I changed direction on a 7mm I was having build sold a Bartlein 5r 10 twist barrel here. I decided to use 1/9 twist for the 280AI and 284. Kreiger offers 7 different twist for his 30 cal barrels and 3 for 6.5 cal.

I was on another site subject came up about wait time on barrels seem they say Rock takes 8wks.
I'm sorry sir, I was not questioning or disagreeing with you, just re-inforcing your "good barrel" statemet. I have another friend with a 7 STW+ 30" Shilen that is a shooter also, and I feel they make a quality barrel. Sorry for the confusion.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.