New rifle and problem

I am glad this is going to work out after all, It would have been pretty depressing if I would have had to sell all the brass and stuff that I had to scrounge to make this work.

How do the 168 and 180 bergers perform on game.

Shot 2 deer with 168's this year from my 7mm RemMag. They performed flawlessly. Couldn't have asked for better function and performance.

Haven't shot any with the 180's yet.

To tell you how good the Bergers performed, I'm not using Accubonds for hunting anymore, and those have been my go-to bullets for years!

Ok Thats good to hear, because we used the 95 hunter vlds in a 243 this past season and they performed terrible , they were accurate not goin to deny it but they did not expand, there was 3 whitetail taken with this rifle. The entry and exit hole looked like it was stabbed with a pencil. Yes we found all three but one was drt and the others were between 40 to 70 yds from where they were hit. I was in disbelief because all rounds went thru rib bones

Hey, whether they expand or not, I could care less, as long as the deer drops in its tracks. There was no blood when I shot that doe. Perfect pin-hole entrance, pin-hole exit, but she flopped hard and never moved again. As long as it kills and does so that quickly, humanely, and efficiently, I have no complaints.

I killed a nice Muley buck this year in Wy. one shot 803yds. took about 5 steps and fell over. The insides were jell-o. Hit him in front of the last rib on near side bullet was under hide behind shoulder on the off side. 7mm rem mag, 168vlds. It does not get any better for a deer weapon IMHO!

No if the game drops thats great ,but the bullets are suppose to shed there energy in the first couple inches of penetration. I wasnt saying they didnt work, just saying the bullet didnt perform as advertised. Dont get me wrong there wasnt a bunch of blown up meat that was a good deal but I guess i just had a diffrent expectation. I will for sure try them in the 7 no doubt. My result may have been diffrent than others

No if the game drops thats great ,but the bullets are suppose to shed there energy in the first couple inches of penetration. I wasnt saying they didnt work, just saying the bullet didnt perform as advertised. Dont get me wrong there wasnt a bunch of blown up meat that was a good deal but I guess i just had a diffrent expectation. I will for sure try them in the 7 no doubt. My result may have been diffrent than others

Something about the pinhole entrance and exit tells me it failed to expand too, but somehow it managed to expend a whole lot of energy and hit her right in the pumphouse. I wish I had it on video it was pretty epic. I've knocked a few down like that before, but none have ever flopped that hard. She had to have been dead before she hit the ground.

So, I guess shot placement was key in that one. LOL

But now I know that as long as I put it in the vitals whether it fails or not, they'll still drop with that big "7 iron" to my shoulder. :D

Well everyone, I hate to say it but I am going to fold up this project, it has been almost 3 months now since they recieved my rifle and I am still waiting, no call , no email. The only Info I found out was that my replacement rifle was ready to ship but It is subject to the trigger recall:rolleyes: . SO it will be a estimated additional 3-5 weeks. I really wish this would have worked but It just wasnt in the cards. So I as soon as It shows I will have a new unfired Rem 700 Long Range in 7mm Rem mag, (need to have smith cut 7 stw chamber) , 98 pieces of new Nosler brass, a box of 140 barnes tsx, and box of 168 berger hunters and a forester benchrest die set for sale. If anyone interested send me a message.

That is if I ever get it. I will post it on the gun for sale section.

well everyone, i hate to say it but i am going to fold up this project, it has been almost 3 months now since they recieved my rifle and i am still waiting, no call , no email. The only info i found out was that my replacement rifle was ready to ship but it is subject to the trigger recall:rolleyes: . So it will be a estimated additional 3-5 weeks. I really wish this would have worked but it just wasnt in the cards. So i as soon as it shows i will have a new unfired rem 700 long range in 7mm rem mag, (need to have smith cut 7 stw chamber) , 98 pieces of new nosler brass, a box of 140 barnes tsx, and box of 168 berger hunters and a forester benchrest die set for sale. If anyone interested send me a message.

That is if i ever get it. I will post it on the gun for sale section.
$50 ??? :d

Last edited:
Well maybe for a box of brass:)

Man, sorry that Remington 700 7mm isn't going to work for you. I've got one and it's the best shooter I own.

It sounds like the stuck cases were from over pressure though. Sometimes, it isn't the charge that gives you the pressure, it can be your bullet seating depth. I have only seen this ever happen with berger bullets usually because they are longer.

Some factory guns end up un- shootable, this is just a horrible fact of life.

Recently though, of the last 50 new cases I bought, 8 of them were too far out of spec to load. Their length to shoulder was .003 longer than SAAMI measurement and I dented the shoulder of 2 or 3 upon initial resizing. As I was loading, I tried the suspect brass in my chamber and could not close the bolt.

Ya it sucks. I checked everything. Brass seating depth all that. It did it on factory remington ammo. I really wanted to run it but after all the wait and extra money. It really soured my to remington firearms, my first and last. I might check out a 7 rem mag savage tho

Ya it sucks. I checked everything. Brass seating depth all that. It did it on factory remington ammo. I really wanted to run it but after all the wait and extra money. It really soured my to remington firearms, my first and last. I might check out a 7 rem mag savage tho

Don't let one screw-up cause you to go sifting through the SALVAGE yard... :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.