New rifle and problem

I do that anyway... I never expect too much from any factory gun. I buy, unbox, work up a load, and if it doesn't shoot to my expectations, I take it off to the smith...

I've been really lucky, as almost all of my factory Remingtons have been shooters.

Game, I just worked up a 1/2 MOA load this weekend for my STW, using Berger 180 Hybrids and 7828 SSC pushing them just at 3,000 fps.

Blurry pic, but I took it with my phone through my spotting scope. They're 6" targets, and by my estimation, that's about 3/4" outside to outside, so C-to-C would be about 1/2". The one flier was thanks to a stray ray of sunlight that hit my scope at the exact same time I pulled the trigger, and made me pull the shot. So 4 out of 5 (should be 5 out of 5) were in the same hole. Not bad for an old rifle with a high round-count. :D

005BD6C2-D649-4292-B5E9-83A7B52703CE_zpsrl72pabm.jpg

Good shooting!

Bushwackr

Two years ago I bought a Rem 700 in 300WM. I had the exact problem you have. With initial hand loads the bolt lifted but would not extract easily. Tried minimum loads with same results. Tried factory loads, still stuck.
I took it back to Cabelas and whined. They offered to send it back to the factory or have a local smith look at it. I opted for the smith since I did not have weeks and weeks to wait for Remington.
I told them my suspicions of a rough chamber so they ran the reamer and polished it. Problem solved. This is the gun I was posting about the two shot group.

PS: Before I had shot the gun and knew of the problem my son bought one just like it..........Exact same problem. They both were probably reamed at about the same time.

Attachments

• 300 WM 2.jpg
    300 WM 2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 600 yds.jpg
    600 yds.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 17
I asked the smith about that but he asked me to measure the fired brass and they are already really big the once fired are .515 at the belt. He wasnt sure if it would make the chamber to big after the polishing. The machine marks are big enought to leave ripples in the brass.

No loyalty here, I am a winchester person myself. Its the same this as buying a new vehicle and finding out is has a bad transmission. Your not going to say I don't want to go back to the dealer and use the warranty I will just take care of it myself that's kinda foolish. if they don't make it right that's a diffrent thing all together.

I am always amazed that some have this dyed-in-the-wool loyalty to a company that basically screws them. It's like what the h*ll, wake up! lightbulb

Unless your brother-in-law is a gunsmith who cannot feed your cousin, I see no reason to go this route.

Loyalty had absolutely nothing to do with my decision of having a smith polish the chamber.
I did not have the time to wait for Remington to replace the gun before my hunt.
Loyalty to me is earned. This is my 5th 700 and first bad experience, but it WILL factor into my decision on who to buy my next gun from. Will probably seriously look at a Savage.

I am always amazed that some have this dyed-in-the-wool loyalty to a company that basically screws them. It's like what the h*ll, wake up! lightbulb

Unless your brother-in-law is a gunsmith who cannot feed your cousin, I see no reason to go this route.

Really? So, you just had to come in here to post just to hate on Remington and pimp everyone else's brand? Every brand has their issues...Even Salvage.

I'll never own a Savage, unless it's given to me free...Even then I'll probably trade it for a 700 to build another custom out of.

I don't like the Winchester actions. They're a bastard mix between the Ruger 77, Mauser 98, and Rem 700... And yes, I use this as an example, even though the Model 70 came out before the 700 and 77.

I am only hating to make a point...And that is that they all have flaws and issues...None are perfect, so it's stupid to make a comment about one of them being bad. Sure, that customer service guy was a douche, but that doesn't mean Rem is a *** company.

Last edited:
Yes , cerbus capital management is a *** company and they have phooked every gun company they have bought. Remlin has been putting out garbage for years now. Unfortunately I learned the hard way but I always remember " phuk me once shame on you phuk me twice shame on me" . Cerbus will never get another dime of my money. They're nothing but thieving banksters.

Yes , cerbus capital management is a *** company and they have phooked every gun company they have bought. Remlin has been putting out garbage for years now. Unfortunately I learned the hard way but I always remember " phuk me once shame on you phuk me twice shame on me" . Cerbus will never get another dime of my money. They're nothing but thieving banksters.

You do realize that Cerberus is not actually getting your money, right? That rifle will have been bought, and changed hands 2-3 times before you ever get to see it... So, whoever the first wholesaler is to buy it gives their money to Cerberus for the rifle. After that, your money goes to the retailer you purchased it from.

Yes, they are a huge crooked corporation, but the companies are still ran by their own accords and by-laws, despite being owned by a big conglomerate. Whether or not their business practices have changed based on the influence of the big crooked angel corporation or not, is on the company.

Also, despite having owned alot of new Remingtons, and not having any issues, I just buy them cheap and used for their actions. No point in risking retail pricing on something I will want to change anyway. There's VERY few factory chamberings I'm interested in, therefore building a custom is the only option.

Really? So, you just had to come in here to post just to hate on Remington and pimp everyone else's brand? Every brand has their issues...Even Salvage.

I'll never own a Savage, unless it's given to me free...Even then I'll probably trade it for a 700 to build another custom out of.

I don't like the Winchester actions. They're a bastard mix between the Ruger 77, Mauser 98, and Rem 700... And yes, I use this as an example, even though the Model 70 came out before the 700 and 77.

I am only hating to make a point...And that is that they all have flaws and issues...None are perfect, so it's stupid to make a comment about one of them being bad. Sure, that customer service guy was a douche, but that doesn't mean Rem is a *** company.

All, I concede that my post did nothing to help resolve the OP's issue. Though I do feel that returning the rifle "as is" to Remington is the only logical solution and I'm glad the OP is doing so.

Also, the comment was not directed at anyone individual, like the OP. So, I apologize for offending.

Mud, you speak negatively of Remington quality, all the time. I don't "hate" Remington. I am disappointed in the quality nosedive they have taken of late. They really need to step up the QC. Maybe that will happen with the new plant and tooling planned for Alabama. I hope so.

You on the other hand seem to have a pat answer to Remington issues that is to: Take to gunsmith, true, lap lugs, replace trigger with "old style" as the X-Mark triggers are junk, have the barrel hand lapped and re-crowned, then have it reamed to an AI version or just get a new barrel AND don't forget to have the stock pillared and bedded while you are there.

So, who is the pimp?

I still don't see where I talk negatively about Remingtons? The Remington 700 is the only action I'll buy and build off of, even though I have several other brands of rifles that I hold onto for sentimental value.

Yes, their QC has become hit or miss the last several years...No denying that.

And how am I pimping them? I'm stating the most obvious and simplistic way to get an ornery Remington 700 to possibly shoot, without having to immediately drop the coin on a custom barrel. All I'm trying to do is help members on here, yet you mock my response.

Custom rifles are not a new venture for me...I've had custom rifles built for me since I was 16 years old. That's 12 years of dealing with custom rifles. My "patent answer" comes from years of learning from gunsmiths. I'm trying to help people out by posting that response. I'm not trying to say that Remingtons are junk...Because they're not. They just need some extra help.

Don't try to twist facts.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.